Catamount Trail sections 6 & 7, Mar 26 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
I woke up at 3am Saturday morning to bright light shining through the windows. I was wide awake, and thinking that I'd overslept, I got out of bed only to realize it was the full moon and I had another hour to sleep.

The alarm went off at 4am Saturday morning. I slammed down the snooze button and crawled slowly out of bed, barely awake. After the usual morning ablutions, I got in the car to go meet Meri. I was, remarkably, only a few minutes late, and that was directly attributable to the time in line at Dunkin' Donuts. We met up with Marshall along the way and soon were heading into Vermont to meet up with Tramper Al at our endpoint, the northern end of Section #7 of the Catamount Trail in Landgrove.

We left a car there, then drove around, past Bromley Mtn. Ski Area, to the current starting point of Section #6 (there's a gap between 5 & 6 at the moment) on Upper French Hollow Road. We geared up and hit the trail.

This portion of the Catamount is shared with snowmobiles, and in the cool of the morning was still frozen glaze, making for a bumpy, slippery glide. It was a little tricky to control - watch out for the little gullies that appear every so often in the belt track. Make sure one ski is in the runner track or you're likely going down!

The trail soon left the snowmobile route and the sun and warm air were nicely softening the top layer of snow over crust. This section was an extremely nice ski, following an open trail then meandering across a knob with fine views of Bromley. There were some neat little windings through the woods as well as crossings on fine bridges built by UVM and trail voluteers just a few years ago. I had a few issues here and there (read: I fell down), which I realized were due to my still thinking in an alpine/parallel-turn mode. I needed to rediscover my snowplow and it would take some effort (and bruises ... falling and planting your knee on the metal edge of your ski hurts).

We made some shorter, but steeper ascents and descents. The trail is beautiful through here and highly recommended. Good control for short stops and turns is a must. The snow was soft and provided nice resistance and glide, but Marshall, on waxable, needed to klister to get any kick. I had trouble when I'd try to take a different route through the trees (it wasn't so much an open trail here, more of a follow-the-blazes through the trees), because the crust beneath me would fail and drop me to a dead halt (read: I fell down). We would eventually come to South Road, marking the end of Section #6.

The next section was our first with a yellow caution triangle. It actually didn't seem that bad. While there was a decent grade off the road and down to a low point, it was very open woods. My snowplow had finally clicked back into place and I felt great. Tramper Al was of course already at the bottom waiting for us along with "I'm not a good skier" Meri, who was again proving herself more capable than she thinks. Marshall's super-long (210cm) skinnies were a bit vexing, but not as much as my skis (Fischer Outbound Crown 189cm) which suddenly seemed to grip me every now and then. My snowplow would suddenly shift and grind to a halt (read: I fell down). At the bottom of the descent Marshall noticed my boot didn't seem to be in my binding, which would definitely have caused those problems. In reseating it I noticed one of the pins didn't seem right. Hmm...

We continued on further and things got worse for me. I stopped and checked the binding again and this time it was apparent the binding was loose. I caught up to Meri, who had a multitool, and tightened it down. This had me concerned, because though the woods here were very beautiful, there was a definite roll to the land (never skins or hard-core equipment, just the ups and downs you'd get on the blues or maybe an occasional black at a cross-country center, but ungroomed) and I needed good control. Plus, I felt confident having just gotten alpine turns back out of my head, I didn't want something else to worry about. The snow was still in excellent shape, even with the warm (short sleeves) temperatures and sun. It was soft but in a good way; no sticking.

As we came up one more incline, I went to herringbone and the ski didn't go the same direction as my foot. Looking to see why, I saw that my binding had come right out of the ski. Only one screw was really holding it in. After shouting a few epithets, I carefully made my way to the top where folks were waiting and showed them the disaster. Immediately, Tramper Al went into doctor mode and came up with a duct tape solution to hold the front of the binding down. I managed to screw the rear screws in but now only had two of the three pins, the other being lost in the snow.

Remarkably, even with duct tape wrapped around my ski, I glided well and with even a bit of control made it all the way to Rock Bottom Road where the duct tape finally failed. At this point, it would not have been wise for me to go on. Even though I finally had retaught my legs to think cross-country, not alpine, with the binding the way it was it was unskiable. I said goodbye to the threesome and started walking up to the center of Peru, where I got pizza and a soda, then started up Hapgood Pond Road towards the finish point, hoping to meet up with everyone. I was an amusing site clomping down the road in my plastic Garmont ski boots, skis and poles lashed onto my pack in a big "X". I got most of the way there but was concerned that they'd be making much better time than me, so when a car stopped to offer me a ride (a fellow xc skier, based on the gear in the back), I accepted. That ride lopped about a half-hour to forty-five minutes off the end of my walk, and I was at the car at 3:00pm. Unfortunately, I left my gloves in the car of the ride - he's got a nice pair of almost-new inner gloves. Consider it karmic payment. And thank you, whoever you were, even though as it turned out, and you will read in a moment, I could have walked the final couple miles with time to spare.

You see, the thing is, even though I spent time lounging around eating pizza, apparently the group was lounging around at the Macartney House. So in spite of being on skis, they didn't get to the finish until 5:00pm. I used the waiting time wisely, though - I opened my foam pad in a sunny spot and took a nap. :)

I don't have the pictures ready yet - I have to go visit family for Easter. I'll hopefully post them and a GPS track tonight. The TopoZone links above are from actual GPS waypoints I took along the way. I skied about 4-1/2 miles, walked about 4 miles, and rode about 2 miles.

The Catamount Trail was beautiful. It goes through great areas and was a lot of fun. I, however, now need to do some ski shopping and I think I'm going to get something a little beefier than the Outbound Crowns. Karhu Pyxis, Fischer Outtabounds, or maybe even Boundless. We shall see.

Now for Tramper Al, Marshall, or Meri to fill in the rest of the trail!

Section 7, continued, and a bit of sections 3 and 4

Just in case there is one person left out there who doesn't know about the Catamount Trail, here it goes. It is a 300 mile XC ski trail running the length (or height) of Vermont, from Massachusetts to Quebec. It is routed, blazed, and maintained by the non-profit Catamount Trail Association. You need not be a member to ski the trail or even to join one of the many free CTA-led ski trips that happen every year. And you can just go out armed with guidebook and ski it on your own, as we did on Saturday.

Nice photos, Michael.

I did some nice CT skiing this past Friday (3/25) as well, the day before I met up with Michael, Meri and Marshall.

Section 3, Woods Rd to Rt 9, near Wilmington VT. This is the 'new' 2 mile section, eliminating the Rt 9 roadwalk. It is fine! Cool views of the Deerfield River and some nice woods. The 'terrace' above the power station was OK, though I could see how it might be tricky if icy.

Section 3, Somerset Dam south. I skied south (and then back north) 2.5 miles to where the trail leaves the East Branch Deerfield, to complete the section. Great snow conditions, with just a couple of creek crossings beginning to open up.

Section 4, Somerset Dam north. I skied north along the unbroken trail, about 1.5 miles to a prominent point on the res, returning by the shoreline. Other than the snowmobile (road) section getting a little muddy, snow cover was excellent. A nice trail through the woods with more little ups and downs than you might expect. Note the road into Somerset Dam is quite muddy and rutted, much more treacherous to drive than when I did it last in the dead of winter. I think I will probably complete this section by skiing south (and then back north) from Groat Pond, to avoid the 9 mile Dam Road drive. I got in 12.5 miles total Friday.

Sections 6 & 7, near Landgrove VT. On Saturday, I met up with these VFTT folks, under the guise of introducing them all to their first Catamount Trail ski! We chose a easy-intermediate section that is about 90% ungroomed ski trail, as I thought they would like that. Other choices for a Catamount section might go a through XC ski center, share a trail with snowmobiles for a bit, or have some killer climbing and / or descending. You have a lot of choices for level of challenge on the Catamount Trail. Think of a difficulty spectrum ranging from say winter hiking Tecumseh all the way up to a winter climb up Abol Slide.

Michael's 3-pin binding really failed big time, and that surprised (and concerned) me somewhat. While we could retighten the loose screws, it was clear that they were not biting. A repair strategy sufficient to get him back to 100% would have to include maybe epoxy to restore the holes, or a drill to move them. It gave us all some ideas on what sort of repair kit to carry on a Baxter ski traverse, for example. The duct tape binding was a little disappointing too. It might work for straight-ahead kick and glide, but not wedging and herringbone. Now, we only gave it 4 layers, so perhaps a beefier duct tape freeheel binding is needed for backcountry skiing.

After ditching MichaelJ, fully geared and mapped at that road crossing, we skied on the rest of the day, for 12.5 miles total. We only found one 20 foot piece of trail all day without snow cover, on the edge of a pond. That's where I did my face plant demo, bushwhacking though like one bush. We stopped in at MacCartney House, mainly to alert them that our binding-failing road-walking friend would be along to wait there for us. We received ridiculously generous hospitality at MacCartneys (thanks). I even had them dig out a pair of 3-pin skis which they waxed and tuned for when MichaelJ arrived, knowing he'd want to get right back on the horse. After tea and cookies, we went on. For the most part, we were able to maintain a good clip of about 3 mph, except where some ups and downs slowed our pace. We came out at FR10 around 5pm, finding our road-walker had made it there to meet us.

Another great couple of days on the trail, probably my last for this year. And they all say they'll be back for the Catamount, so I've got to love that!

Last edited:
Klister anyone?

What an awesome day that we had on the Catamount Trail on Saturday! I simply had a blast. Totally enjoyed the ski tour with Tramper Al, MichaelJ and Meri.

Nice pictures and trip report, MichaelJ. Sorry, that I didn't take any pictures to contribute, but my hands were somewhat covered with klister much of the time so didn't want to handle the camera.

Some highlights include:
1) Skiing with this outstanding threesome for the first time
2) Skiing the open woods on some of the section 6 decents
3) The outstanding hospitality of the folks running the MacCartney House
4) Overall snow conditions and diversity of the CT terrain
5) Skiing down short pitches and cruising up and over the many UMV built bridges
6) Bombing down the long down hill section after attaining the height-of-land in section 7
7) Getting the scoop on NOT Duck
8) Late dinner at the Peterborough Diner (NH)

Some klister related lessons learned include:
1) Warm up the blue klister before applying in the field. It was basically rendered ineffective because it was too thick too spread while cold. Lack of kick, during the morning crust hours, made the climbing more difficult.
2) Close the gap between blue and red klister. Silver or purple for the temperature range in between would have been useful. However, life was very good when temperatures rose to the high thirties and the red started to really provide some kick.
3) Sand and klister don't mix. Actually they mix all too well, which is a problem. Cross roads and ski snow banks at your own peril, if using klister.

At any rate, let's definitely do it again sometime. Thanks to Tramper Al for leading us on this most exciting ski tour! Hopefully, next time there won't be an equipment failure of the magnitude that MichaelJ experienced.

Marshall

Sounds like a great ski. Marshall, if you enjoy klister as much as it sounds, you probably already know this, but a bit of bailing wire can come in very handy for binding repairs. In a real pinch, I have frozen a binding to a ski for a low-tech quick fix.

Repair?

Hi el-bagr,
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you use bailing wire to afix a 3-pin binding? We were basically left with a ski with 1 very loose hole and 2 others getting there, a binding, and 2 screws. And it was too warm for anything to freeze, I'm afraid.

Actually, not a great lover of klister

El-bagr, actually, I was being quite tongue-in-cheek about the klister. It has been a number of years since I last used it and clearly made a number of mistakes in its application.

In jury-rigging the boot/binding with duct tape, Tramper Al did about the best we could do with the materials that we had to work with. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that my repair kit currently doesn't include some of the basics such as extra screws, bailing wire, extra three pin binding, extra ski tip, etc. On Saturday, could only offer duct tape.

Marshall

Actually, you had twigs (hopefully relatively dry). You might have been able to put them in the stripped holes to get the screws to bite. However, water would still get into the holes and soften any wood inside the ski. (The glue used in mounting is both to hold the screws and seal out water.)

BTW, I carry a few extra screws with me just in case I lose one.
And, of course, a pozi-drive screwdriver (binding-buddy).

BTW2, the screws used to mount 3-pin XC bindings are generally pozi-drive, not phillips. Available from Akers Ski, or you should be able to get a few from any place that repairs XC skis.

Also, Voile straps could be useful for holding a shoe to a ski. (REI now carries a house branded version.) My experience with duct tape is that it gets cut by the ski edge fairly quickly.

Doug

Last edited:
Skiing on the edge of town

MarshallM said:
I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that my repair kit currently doesn't include some of the basics such as extra screws, bailing wire, extra three pin binding, extra ski tip, etc.
Please, Marshall. If you're embarassed then I should be mortified. You all had a bit of duct tape, while your default leader brought only sunblock and a couple of half baked ideas. Despite the odds, we all survived to ski another day.

DougPaul said:
Actually, you had twigs (hopefully relatively dry). You might have been able to put [twigs] in the stripped holes to get the screws to bite. Also, Voile straps could be useful for holding a shoe to a ski.
Doug
Hey, good ideas. I don't think that Michael's Voile bindings were the cable-ready sort, and of course for us it was the binding-ski connection that was failing. By the time we lost that screw, it was long obvious that the hole was stripped.

On longer trips, does anyone carry a drill tool or awl to start new holes, or maybe epoxy / filler to repair old ones?

Last edited:
Tramper Al said:
On longer trips, does anyone carry a drill tool or awl to start new holes, or maybe epoxy / filler to repair old ones?

A problem is that it will be difficult/impossible to dry out the screw hole in the field. And epoxy etc will be slow to cure in the cold.

BTW, you want the 2hr hardening epoxy. The fast stuff isn't waterproof. The 2hr epoxy can also be heated to soften it in case you wish to remove the screw.

Doug

I carry a multi-tool that has an awl. It became very important at one point during the BSP traverse.

I also carry extra binding screws, steel wool (for filling stripped holes), crazy glue (cures fast and is sufficient for field repairs) and bailing wire (for holding a boot attached to a binding, not a binding to a ski).

I rarely carry an extra binding, and when I have, I only carry the right one, figuring that in a pinch I can ski slightly awkwardly to safety. It's not worth it to me to carry a whole extra set of bindings.

at a minimun, carry a screwdriver, screws, glue and steel wool...

spencer

The bailing wire can be wrapped around the binding in an X to make a solid wire-binding attachment, then wrapped in another X around the entire ski. Twist the wire around a stick (like a tourniquet) to tighten. Ideally you carve out small ruts in the base to make sure the wire sticks (should be repairable with ptex; you may be able to warranty the skis or have the shop make good on them if you didn't mount them yourself; doesn't sound like you were in a survival situation, but a life is worth scuffing up skis). Otherwise you can get decent stick on the nowax pattern of scaled skis.

If the binding fails completely (broken metal or lost altogether), you can tape and wire-wrap the boot's ball-of-foot to the ski with passable results.

I rarely carry extra bindings, but I brought an extra right and left Superloop (the entire thing!) on our recent Baxter trip. Didn't come into play, but I wanted to be able to ski without worry of demolishing a critical piece in the backcountry.

Last edited:
This trip (and my ski with Tramper into Baxter) have been incredible learning experiences for me. Everything ranging from the dynamic of a group camping/quasi-backpacking trip to gear to how to ski ungroomed backcountry trails that aren't roads to how to deal with equipment failure.

Besides now having great insight into what to do "next time" (and I mean that in many ways), now I have to think about skis.

Clearly, my Outbound Crown's were inadequate to the torquing put on them by a 3-pin binding and a rigid plastic boot. Even though I wasn't doing alpine downhill or putting tele turn strain on them, just a few falls and they're under more stress than they're meant for.

At least one knowledgable person I talked to felt that even Fischer Outtabounds are not really up to the task of having 3-pin bindings.

I'd certainly be interested in thoughts from this group. I want a ski that can take me through terrain like I did this winter, and into further stuff once I'm more skilled. Any opinions?

So let me elaborate a little more on my confusion.

After some Googling, some things have become apparent. First of all, the Outtabounds apparently have "built-in binding reinforcements" which my Outbounds did not. That would really explain my binding pullout while others (who admittedly did not fall as much) did not have any problems. The Outbounds really were not meant to be used as hard as I pushed them, even though that wasn't very hard.

Looking around I see that the Atomic Sierra, having the 70-60-65 sidecut like my Outbounds, specifically say they are designed for all sorts of boots and bindings, including 3-pin. So there's an appropriate ski to replace the Outbounds in kind for "day-tours over moderate backcountry terrain through wide-ranging snow conditions."

The Karhu Pyxis is well thought of by many on this board. It's wider, 80/62/70 for the 195cm, and it seems plenty of people use them successfully with 3-pin bindings.

Even wider but equally sidecut are the Outtabounds, which are also used by many here. They're 88-68-78 and though Fischer just shows them with BC-system bindings on their web site, I know plenty of you use them with 3-pin. But given my Fischer experience, I would be hesitant.

Finally, I found one other very positively-reviewed ski, the Atomic Rainier. It's as wide as the Outtabounds but has a 30cm sidecut, 88/60/78. It's also a waxless backcountry touring ski but specifically they "recommend you use a stiff backcountry boot with this ski to take full advantage of downhill qualities."

So if I had a ton of money to blow, I could replace the Outbounds with Sierras. Since I'm lacking in money, I'd rather the skis I buy be not so close to the Outbounds in usefulness (I'll throw NNN's or SNS's on the Outbounds and continue to use them for road/track touring), so would the Rainiers be right for things like the easy and intermediate Catamount sections or pulling a pulk into Baxter? Or are they overkill and I should go with the Pyxis? Does the positive pattern wear badly on harder snow conditions?

I'd love to take a long time to research this but the sales are now and stock is dwindling.

Interesting BC XC gear questions. I fear your inquiry may not get a lot of notice here in a trip report about some obscure Vermont ski trail, though. Perhaps a new thread, or checking out Telemarktips might be in order.

DougPaul said:
Telemarktips focuses on heavy duty Tele gear rather than XC BC gear.
Sorry to disagree, but 'focus' aside, I have found there a huge amount of good information on BC XC skiing and gear like 3-pin, Excursions, and Sbound series skis. But then, I would not have suggested it otherwise.

Well, I'll reply here anyway.

I weigh in around 275 (without gear) and I've been using Outtabounds for a couple of seasons. I think the size of the skier has a lot to do with the strain you put on a ski/binder/boot group. I have not had any problems with my Outtabounds. I have the super heavy duty telemark 3-pin cable bindings. A lot of shops will recommend the lightweight 3-pin bindings for touring. Given my size and needs, I wouldn't screw around with them. I held a pair and even the metal feels cheesy and weak.

I then use Karhu Serius boots (leather/plastic/buckle combo) with much enthusiasm for long tours. Sooner or later when I can afford it, I'll likely get a pair of T-2s for steeper stuff, although the Serius have done very well for me, even on lifts. You'll see me on them this weekend.

All that being said, the Outtabounds don't tour nearly as well as a narrower, less curvy ski would. If I had something with a little less sidecut and a bit narrower, I'd take them on my BSP trips. But I lean towards too wide, since I like to crash off into the woods periodically to find turns (and them I'm glad to have my Outtabounds).

If I were looking to find a perfect ski for BSP and other backcountry tours, with no need to find turns in steeper stashes, I would not get the Outtabounds. I think they are overkill for bc touring, although I love them for other reasons mentioned. I've tried GO's Karhu Pyxis and really like them. Karhu's have the positive scale pattern. Be weary of the negative pattern of the Fisher line.

For some more info regarding the negative vs. positive scales, see the recent thread someone started about Karhu vs. Fischer (was that you, MichaelJ?)

good luck! Send free skis my way...

spencer

A few thoughts:

Telemarktips has a forum that bills itself as "the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web". It's a very inclusive site -- trip reports, equipment reviews, and Q&A about things like lift-served telemark, backcountry big-mountain touring, nooner lunch tours through rolling hills in West Virginia, week-long wilderness skis, alpine touring and even splitboarding. I post over there as "Todd G" (dropping aliases bit by bit). MJ's question would be a great match for ttips.

If you posted over there, here's what I'd say:

MJ said:
Clearly, my Outbound Crown's were inadequate to the torquing put on them by a 3-pin binding and a rigid plastic boot. Even though I wasn't doing alpine downhill or putting tele turn strain on them, just a few falls and they're under more stress than they're meant for.

At least one knowledgable person I talked to felt that even Fischer Outtabounds are not really up to the task of having 3-pin bindings.

I am skeptical of this assessment. I understand that your binding ripped out of your ski. You had standard Voile 3-pin bindings. The toepieces of these bindings are held on by three screws. As I understand the posts above, one screw ripped out entirely and the other two screws became loose. In my experience, if you are talking about brand-new skis (not previously mounted), this has little to do with the skis in question. If blame were a valid concept, I'd blame the mounting job. I'd question whether the holes were properly drilled and whether a waterproof glue or epoxy was used.

It seems you're saying that those skis are too wide and shapely to be driven with 3-pin bindings without the bindings pulling out. IMO the widths of these skis suggest you'd get more out of a bigger boot, but properly mounted 3-pin bindings are up to the task of driving almost any ski -- particularly for touring as on the CT. You're talking about the Outbound Crown (70-60-65). You also mentioned the Outtabounds (88-68-78). Lots of people use 3-pin bindings on these skis -- in fact, anything more is arguably overkill. Shizzmac and Spencer, for example, both use 3-pin bindings on skis in this class -- to great effect, I might add. My fat powder telemark skis (118-88-105 -- as wide at the waist as the Outtabounds are at their widest) do just fine with a Voile 3-pin binding -- fine for touring, bigger-mountain descents, and for lift-served bombing.

The other issue you might be considering is that the Fischers' construction doesn't allow for solid mounts. I am skeptical of this as well -- plenty of people like Spencer do great on those skis. I don't like the Fischers as much -- they're a bit noodly compared to stiffer layups with more wood and metal. Olivia and I prefer Karhu's more solid wood (and titanal) construction.

I mount my own bindings these days. Just like fixing up your own car or computer, if you know how to do it, you know you can do a good job without ripping yourself off.

In short: don't blame the 3-pin or the skis. Blame the mount.

I will definitely repost my comments and start a new top-level thread going, hopefully tomorrow morning. You've given me even more to think about and I do want to pick up this conversation and continue it, especially so I can figure out what to do while the spring clearance sales still have inventory. I'm just a bit work-overwhelmed at the moment...