Catskill Hike 01/16/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskillclimber

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the site. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone was up for a hike this coming Sunday in the Catskills. I was thinking Panther via Giant Ledge from the Slide Mt. Road, although I'm up for other suggestions.

I planned on heading out next Sunday too. Anything particular in mind? I'm up for anything but if you're working on a list maybe we can compare to see what we both still need. As far as the Cats I've done the Devil's Path, Blackhead Range & Windham, Slide, and Bearpen. I'll repeat anything though.
Ryan

I was thinking about doing a peak this sunday and/or next weekend, but I can't commit to anything. If you post the place and time I could meet at the trailhead. I am especiallyinterseted in any of the four 3500-club required winter peaks, but would consider any others.

Ian

Folks, this might be too late, but I got a PM from mcorsar that said the 3500 club is doing a hike tomorrow (Saturday) to Blackhead. Harry Rampe is leading the hike @ 8:45 at the trailhead on Big Hollow Rd. 845-292-6736 to register...

Jay

Hey Y'all,

Catskillclimber-welcome to VFTT! I'll be up for Catskill hikes anytime. When you say you've done the DP, do you mean Indian Head-Plateau, or does that include Hunter and West Kill, too? I'm doing Blackhead tomorrow and will then want to do West Kill sometime soon, to finish up my 3500 Club stuff. After (or even before) that, I'm up for whatever.

This and/or next Sunday are good for me. Also I have the holiday off on Monday, so I could hike then. If I hike all three days, I might "take it easy" on one of them, and do something in the Shawangunks. The 'Gunks are a real short drive for me, and I haven't been up on the ridge since calendar winter started.

Panther wouldn't be my top choice, since I just climbed it on New Year's Day, but if that's what you're gonna do, go for it. I might just be up for it anyhow, since I just went in from Fox Hollow, and I only did the Giant Ledge route once, a few months ago.

I've been hiking solo a lot, but I really want to do West Kill w/ at least one other person, so that we can do it as a thru-hike w/ cars @ either end. I'd like to start from the west end, go over the summit and back down the east slope. This way we'd get Diamond Notch Falls as a treat towards the end of the hike. Also, we'd be hiking to the further-away of the cars, rather than having to drive back to the far end after the hike.

Matt

Thanks for the welcome.
I'll be at the Panther Mt. trailhead at 10 am. This sounds a little late but I'm trying to time it with the afternoon snow so I can hike out in it. I'm leaving from the Giant Ledge/Panther Mt. trailhead on Slide Mt. Road. The one on the real sharp corner. I would like to do a hike Monday as well if any of you have it off. Matt, I've hiked West Kill as part of the Devil's Path but not from each direction so a through trip would still offer some new scenery. I'm kicking myself for having such a rough night and not getting on the trail today. It's beautiful out today! I hope some of you made it out. I too am looking to get the 3500 club winter peaks so I will probably re-do Blackhead on Monday. I'm dying to have a nice snowshoe hike but the snow hasn't been cooperating so far. Hopefully there is some accumulation in the mountains now. I'll read the trip reports tonight to see. Have a good weekend all.

CC-I'm posting this right around the time you're starting out for Panther, but hopefully you'll see it later. I just did the Blackhead Range yesterday w/ the Club. We started at the Batavia Kill trailhead, went up to Lockwood Gap and over to Blackhead, then back to the Gap, where about half the group bailed. Four of us went on to do Black Dome and Thomas Cole, then back the way we came. We barebooted the entire way, although we did see four other guys all in crampons. There was some ice on the summit approaches of BH and BD, but nothing that wasn't pretty easy to avoid. The snow was maybe 4-6 inches, and was actually sort of powdery, w/ ice underneath. If we get 3 or so more inches tonight, you might get to use the 'shoes. At this rate it'll take about 4 "storms" before we get a solid foot...

The views were outstanding, hopefully it'll be clear for you tomorrow, since it looks like you might be clouded in on Panther today. Even w/o the views you'll have a blast though, I'm sure. If you do Black Dome as well, just be careful of the steep area below the lookout ledge on the east face. If you come up the way we came, you'll see that we (and everybody else) blew off the trail switchbacks in the area below Lockwood Gap, and just went straight up. Just follow all the prints-you'll be on and off trail a couple times before you reach the col.

If you are open to something other than Blackhead on Monday, post or pm.
I might be up for West Kill, or maybe something else.

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt. I'm not yet sure if I'm making it out tomorrow yet or not but post or pm if you head out somewhere and what time you'll be at the trailhead and I may be able to meet you. I'm not too picky so if I can hike anything will be good. I did Blackdome a couple of weeks ago and I agree, the top few feet before the Blackdome opening on the east face was a bit hairy. I had my crampons and managed OK. I did not make it over to Thomas Cole that day though.
Ryan