Central ADK Plus trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
Trying o put together a plan for the kids and me with six days, with maybe four summits & a couple of easier, off days on our way to other activities. Staying in Minerva, they are 12 & 9 and fair hikers, just a couple of 4Ks done & so far, having fun. Views over peaks, my goal to have them excited to finish the 11 I have left & possibly have them in a few years carry most of the gear! :D (Sewards & Cooch, Sant, Panther the hardest left & Dial & Nippletop slated for last)

Trying to cull my list of activities down from Hudson Ledges, Wild Center, ADK Museum, ADK Intrepretative Center, Adams, Snowy, Macomb, Hurricane (will be in HP one day - maybe two) maybe Phelps or Wrights, Beaver Meadow Falls (off day), with possibly Crane on the last day. I only have an old 50 hikes book for Crane. The book mentions that the road may not be passable all the way. (HP, Central & Western seemed like enough books + a couple of High peaks + the 50 hikes) I'm hoping it's a six mile hike & not an all day trip for me & the kids.

We've done, Vanderwhacker, Blue, Goodenow, Snowy (in the fog), Rondaxe (near old Forge)

Thinking we'll do Phelps as they will want to see the updates around Marcy Dam, (we did Avy lake last year.)

Any can't miss that I missed? (will be back in November for a day with an fairly easy view hike planned)

Somewhat near Minerva:

13th Lake
Peaked Mountain
Gore Mountain Gondola ride
Barton Mines (to see big chunks of Garnet)
North Creek Train Station Museum (Teddy Roosevelt)
Hornbeck Boats
Easy hikes by the Boreas River

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. We did to the mines this May, odd seeing the reddish rocks in an area I associate with green and white slides. My daughter thinks the condition of Aiden Lair is sad. Every time she goes by, she says if she won lotto, she'd donate the money to restore it. During the Olympics, a trip to Placid & Mt. Van would seem in order....

road to crane open all the way to trailhead. A little narrow towards the end. not bad but I wouldn't want to run into a car going otherway the last 200 yards.
I like climbing the right trail. it starts climbing immediatly and it has nice view spots to rest. The last ladder Is tough if you have a dog and some smaller children may be scared. Then you can decend the other way and stop for a dip in the lake. Lust before you start decending keep an eye to your left for paths to the last outlook. Great view of the lake from there.