Chic Choc Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drweo

Reaction score
I am looking for good trail descriptions of the Chic Choc Mountains on the Gaspe' peninsula in Quebec, expecially for the three 4000' mts (Mt Jacque Cartier, Mt de la Passe and Mt Comte). Google searches mostly turn up short descriptions of hiking the first one. Are there trails up the other two or are they bushwacks? Are the three doable in a day??
Any info/guidance would be appreciated.

A good Q. It's been discussed here before, and I would like an AMC-like source of mts, trails, and maps for the Gaspe. But, haven't found one. There are a few more peaks way up north, but I'm not real hot on a polar expedition, food drops from a plane, and fighting off wolves.

Just getting a list of (4000') peaks is an adventure. Summit Post lists Jacques Cartier (4160'), del la Passe (4068'), and Comte (4042') at over 4000'. Balerine (4085') is a sub-peak of JC, so no count. However, other sources list these peaks at different elevations. So depending on who you believe, you could add Richardson (4002') to the list. I think there are 1-2 others.

The 'best' map that I could find was the terrain option on Google.

Look forward to someone finding a 'guidebook' of sorts.

Thought I might mention for a little 'heads up" but there is no bushwhacking in Parc de la Gaspesie.
There is a nice walk up trail to Cartier, but not to the others mentioned. Reason most often given is not to over stress the dwindling Caribou population that frequent the area.

Good point. I forgot to mention that de la Passe is 'off limits' due to caribou habitat. The trail to JC goes over a col separating the two, and it would seem an easy kick to the top from there. But no go. Therefore, is it a 4000 ftr????

Also JC is open only in 'summer' months from 10-4. Talk about regulation.

Awesome info all. I've always been intrigued by Gaspe. Someday, but only after I make it to the Bold Coast first!

Parc de la Gaspesie

I was there in July 2011. Stayed at Camping de la Riviere (water and electricity). It's across the road from the visitor centre. I hiked to the top of Mont Albert (above treeline), then completed Le Tour de Mont Albert, an 11 mile loop with everything from rock ledges to a boardwalk constructed to protect the alpine terrain. There's an enclosed cabin with deck and nice views at the top of Mont Albert (& the only place with cellphone coverage). There's another cabin about 3 miles before the end of the loop. Pretty spectacular.

If you do Mont Jacques Cartier, you are required to use the shuttle bus from the Jacques Cartier campsite to the trailhead. Also, hiking is not permitted before 10 AM or after 4 PM (I think) to protect the Caribou. It's also about a 25 mile dirt road to get from the visitor centre to the campsite, meaning that you probably won't be able to do other hikes that same day.

Treeline is about 1,000 feet lower (3,000 to 3,200 feet elevation) than in the Whites.

Last edited:
Chic Chok info

Thanks to all who replied. I will check out all those links.

The restriction of hiking to certain hours makes me curious: What regulation is there regarding hikers walking the extension of the Appalachian Trail? I dont know the route of that trail but believe it goes right over JC. Do they have to time their crossing of the summit. Or...?

Putting de la Passe and Comte off limits also seems a bit rigid, though I understand in part about stressing the Caribou. I agree we should have regard for them, but I also know that, for example, there is no such restriction on hiking in Denali Nat. Park in Alaska, where one can encounter caribou in many locations. Just trying to put it all in perspective....

Thanks again.

Unlike Alaska, the Chic-Chocs herd of woodland caribou are endangered. I went to MEC and found a guide: Chic-Chocs, Guide des itinérairies de randonnée alpine. You can order it at www.mec.ca; it's in French, but there are a lot of maps. I'd get in direct touch with the park, either through the SEPAQ website, or by 'phone (they can communicate in English). I didn't find a seperate map (I'd have bought it and sent it to you), but the park surely has one that they will mail to you.

Concerning the International Appalachian Trail, go to www.sia-ita.com and click on 'Description' and then on 'English' (top left). You will see map options.

I hope this helps.

Doug