Chocorua: 4/15/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
With plans changing due to an expected rain storm, Drewski, Chinooktrail and I woke up late on Saturday morning at Camp Chinook. We packed for a mountain we could see from the side porch: Mt. Chocorua. We were joined by three of Christine’s friends: the WeatherGodess (WG), Snake, and MotorcyleRick (MR). We started up the Liberty Trail at around 1100 just as the sun began its fight to clear away the overcast. Temperatures were in the fifties, and the trail condition was wet, but not too muddy. As we got higher, we found small patches leftover ice. The Artist Formerly Known as Drewski left a Fungi message from his last time up this trail, which was about a week ago.

We stopped briefly at the Jim Liberty Cabin as the sun came out and gave us a beautiful view of the sensational and majestic peak of Mt. Chocorua. This was my first time climbing a mountain I have seen several times and gazed at with much appreciation and wonder. Lead by the Snake, we made our way up the rocky peak of Mt. Chocorua where we stopped for some pictures and a bit to eat. Christine tried to point out peaks, but quickly said, (paraphrasing) “well, I usually find Chocorua and identify everything from that point… I found Chocorua, but it isn’t providing the same reference.” Passaconaway, Square Ledge, Whiteface, and Hedgehog where beautiful, standing above some low passing clouds. Suddenly, a dark rain cloud started rushing toward our direction and we knew our summit stop had come to an end.

We started the descent with a short rain shower that stopped as quickly as it started. We headed down the Brook Trail, often doing “butt-slides” down the wet flat rocks, like a slip and slide. We had some great conversations, laughs, lessons in philosophy from MR, and even more demonstrations in fungi artistry from the Professor himself.

We returned back to the car at around 1600 ready to get to a barbecue at Camp Chinook. I really enjoyed this hike. Mt. Chocorua is an amazing mountain. Thanks for the laughs!

See my pics: http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=67t3qkc.4yvqe54&Uy=-31qzq8&Ux=0