Chota Mukluk...conversion

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
Always looking for light weight footwear, esp this season of mixed conditions.
Long a fan of Mukluks I bought a pair of the new Chota Waterproof Mukluks this fall which worked out great.
So...for a wet winter icy hike..I tried this recipe....Take one pair of the Mukluks add one pair of "Stabilicers" and... presto change o ...you have a new pair of winter hiking boots. Add a pair of heated "footwarmer" insoles if necessary.
Tried the arrangement out up on the Beaver Brook Trail which is plenty steep and it worked out quite nicely.
Think I'll be trying the set up over on Falling Waters Trail, which is bound to be wet, doing the Lafayette, Lincoln, Haystack loop.

Here's hoping...

Last edited:
attempt#2....

I have a pair of the Chota mukluks... I would think that the soles of them, although rubber and has some traction on it isn't too forgiving on sharp rocks. I.e. I walk to the put in with my kayak on them but still would try to avoid sharp rocks.. Haven't tried any serious hiking with them, not familiar with the trail you mentioned...

They are nice and warm and dry though on the cold water days...

Jay

Chota Breathable Mukluk Boot

Jay H said:
attempt#2....

... I would think that the soles of them, although rubber and has some traction on it isn't too forgiving on sharp rocks. ... Haven't tried any serious hiking with them, not familiar with the trail you mentioned...

They are nice and warm and dry though on the cold water days...

Jay

Yes, that's why I used "Stabilicers" with them that adds a whole other sole, which stiffens them up quite a bit and protects the boot.
Not perfect but they did the trick. I did notice that they have a little "nubbie" kind of boot lace hook on the side and, like some other hiking boots I've worn, you can actually trip yourself up if they catch against your other boot.
it adds meaning to the phrase "that guy can trip over his own two feet"
next time I will cover them up (on hiking boots I've had to crimp the lace hooks down if they caught to much)

Beaver Brook trail is out of Kinsman Notch in NH, part of the A.T. I try to climb it early in the season to get some idea of my fitness level...or lack there of..it's a pretty trail which follows a series of nice cascades,then it takes you over to Mt Moosilauke if your so inclined.

Think I'll be looking at some of the liner socks that Cantdog referenced as time goes by.

Never one to mock "specialized " gear, I have yet to find a boot for canoeing more comfortable, warmer, or cheaper than the Muck Boot-- availiable at many farm and garden stores.

Pete