Cliff #46

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
My last weekend push for #39-#46.

The weekend weather was looking good for a strong finish of the 46.

I started out Saturday morning from South Meadows towards Marcy Dam. A bit cloudy to start the morning but very comfortable hiking. I made quick work of going up Phelps. After finding the top I came back out to the face towards Marcy and Colden and decided to wait a while for the clouds to lift. While waiting I heard familiar foot steps. Yes. Once again for the second Saturday in a row, the first hikers I see are Craig and Carl. Great to see you guys again. We chatted for a bit and after a few pictures I was off to Tabletop. I later found out that some of the hikers I passed on the way down were finishing their 46 on Phelps. Congratulations to them!

I made my way up Tabletop, checked out the limited views and continued on. I stopped at Indian Falls for an extended lunch. By this time the clouds had lifted and bright sunshine filled the sky.

Moving on, up I went to Marcy. The views were spectacular. The summit was crowded, as I made my way around looking off in all directions. With a good mental image and a few digital ones, I continued on with my sights set for two more peaks for the day.

I made my way down to the four corners and on up to Skylight. I found the summit with only a father and son who were getting ready to depart. I took a bit of a longer break and talked with two other hikers who came up shortly after me. With daylight burning it was time to depart Skylight.

I found my way down to Lake Tear of the Clouds and up to Gray I went. On the summit I once again found the father and son from Skylight. Here we chatted a bit and found out that we grew up in the same area years ago. A few more pictures and it was time to find a place to sleep for the night.

I decided to camp at Uphill lean-to area. That would set me up in the morning for Redfield and #46 Cliff. I came in to camp, set up, and ate diner with two other hikers at the lean-to.

It was a bit of a chilly night, so I lingered in my hammock for an extra 1/2 hour in the morning. Ate breakfast, packed up and off to Redfield by 7:30. It was shaping up to be another great day. I made way my up, recorded the images once again and back down the way I came.

Back at the trail I replenished my water for the final climb. As i climbed Cliff I felt like I was in a jungle gym. Over and under, under and over, over and under, then OUCH. As I came under I didn't see the tree that knocked my head about 3 inches into my neck and rattled my teeth. That slowed me down a bit. Anyway when the stars went away I was moving again. Over the first summit and on to the second. Finally I saw the broken Cliff sign. As I made my final step all I said was YESSSS.
I lingered a while to take in #46. Then it was time to leave.

I decided to hike out via Avalanch Lake since I have not been that way yet. It was a very scenic way to end my trip.

George
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554211875cpOBoc

Congratulations George, an interesting mtn to finish on for sure... Have fun on the AT!

Jay

Jay H said:
Congratulations George, an interesting mtn to finish on for sure... Have fun on the AT!

Jay
Hey Jay,
Thanks Slamdog and Jay. I will be on the AT this Thursday for a one week section. Really looking forward to get back counting White Blazes. Fontana Dam to Hot Springs. The Smokies should be real nice this time of year.