Cold Water Shock amd Gasp Reflex

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
The topic of safe clothing wear often comes up when paddling tempertures below 70 degrees F, all the way down to winter conditions. The chief concern thought of is hy'thermia, so people debate a dysuit, dytop, wetsuit, etc if they are immersed in the water for any length of time.

No matter how you keep the body prepared for immersion with expensive gear, those paddling in cold water should also be educated on the gasp reflex and cold water shock. This can immobilize you and be a real threat if not prepared. The advice for preventing this on paddling.net posts is wearing a thick neoprene hood to protect the head and ears, nose plugs, and even gradually exposing your head to the cold water.

Not to scare anyone-but knowledge is important. For me personally, this risk is the one I have the most concern on for winter paddling. One can wear a $1000 drysuit, paddle close to shore with a buddy, capsize, and become immobile and disoriented, not roll up even if a great roller. In theory, you could nto even wet exit if goofed up enough.

Yes I've heard and read varius versions of that.
One theory is that some people are more supsubtible (sp?) to it...if thats the right word...meaning it happens to some people but not to others.
Some gasp others do not.
There is also talk that splashing water on your face or head at the beggining of a paddle excursion will help set your body up for the potential shock.
It certainly does exist... I know I've done my rolls down to mighty cold temps but I don't know how cold ...somewhere in the 40"s (water temps) I would guess.
It's also speculated that taking cold showers would increase endurance etc...can't say as I've tried that but it's an interesting subject.

On the hiking threads, some time ago there was a link for cold water survival ....if you fell throught the ice ..can't rembember if it dealt with the gasp reflex or not...

Last edited: