cold weather overpants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hikerfast said:
you make good points. i have 3 layers for legs already. the kind of cold im talking about is the kind where wet isnt such an issue. or just to throw on someones legs if they were hurt until we got them out, in addition to a monster parka i always carry. . the bivy stuff i would have. thanks for the input!

As you will probably see from some of my comments, I am looking at this from being out alone more so than being in a group.

Personally, it is hard for me to ascertain exactly where "wet isn't such an issue". That's why I play it on the safe side by using synthetics. Especially when I am out solo. Being in a group usually changes my gear choices somewhat when different considerations and possibilities arise.

When I am with a group, I have more of a tendency to reduce weight and bulk by going with down.

There have been situations when I thought, well, it is cold enough so wet precipitation may not be an issue. But then, my own body heat starts to melt the snow in places on my garments that surprised me. I've thankfully learned from those experiences. Then the perspiration factor, as well. Just spending a relatively peaceful night in a sleeping bag where you feel warm and toasty, while you are enjoying your good sleep, your bag is storing the moisture. Then if you arein a bivy for an extended period, you may be dealing with condensation as well.

It takes awareness to keep down dry. If you are not in the "right" frame of mind due to an injury or illness...(hypothermia perhaps?) you might do something unintentially to that might contribute to compromising the insulating life line by making it wet and next to useless? :(

Someone once told me. If you don't believe me, just weigh your down bag. Sleep in it. When you wake up weigh it again. It will be heavier. The difference is the moisture the bag has absorbed form perspiration.

I've never done this experiment.

Last edited:
I bought a set fleece "Military Spec European Military Overpants" for $20 out of Cabelas. They have full side zips, which is nice because I can put them on without taking my boots off or even sitting down. They are a bit heavy and bulky though. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat600634&hasJS=true

I find them very warm. To warm in fact, and I usually just keep them in my pack in case I get hurt or have to stand around for a long time.

those selk suits are cool but i dont see a price. My parka is like the top half, i want something that is just the bottom half that zips or velcros. cool stuff