Coleman stove questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
I love the ease of use of my Pocket - Rocket style stove but in the colder temps it is useless. A friend pointed out to me the Coleman Exponent extreme stove that utilizes Powermax fuel (available at Wal-mart.) This fuel is a butane / propane mix but supposedly is good for 4 season use. Does anyone have any winter experience with this stove or any other that uses this fuel? I love the fact that the fuel is so readily available and from what I hear it is extremely easy to operate. Any comments would be appreciated. BTW this stove is on sale at Campmor right now for 49.95

J

I don't know about the stoves, but I have a lantern that uses that kind of fuel and it says not to use below 30F. It worked at about 20F, but it was dimmer than usual.

I have a Pocket Rocket and a Coleman Exponent Expert (smaller than the Extreme). Neither likes chilly mornings but the Powermax fuel will get you about ten degrees lower. Kept warm overnight and stuffed in a heavy sock, you can still boil water after an overnight frost but it will take longer. I'm looking toward a Whisperlite or Simmerlite for winter use.

John - This is the description from Campmor - "This 4-season stove operate a butane-propane cartridge that has a patented fuel extraction system that delivers steady performance at all temperatures and altitudes. " Would you say then that based on your experience, this is not the case?

Jason, the performance may be reasonably steady from full to near empty but I just can’t buy the claim that it is an all-temperature stove. I didn’t have a stopwatch or thermometer handy at the time but I recall that on a couple of chilly days it took about twice as long to boil a small pot of water than it did previously on warmer occasions. These were mornings when I had to scrape some pretty hard frost off the windshield, and the canister was half full or more. After ten minutes or so, I got my coffee but remember thinking that I wouldn’t want to have to depend on it too much farther down the temperature scale.

Neither the instructions that came with it nor the Coleman web site (Xpert or Xtreme models) make any claim that it is a cold weather stove. Perhaps Campmor can give you a source and data for the claim. Better yet, has anyone at Campmor actually used it in winter? If so, I’d be interested in knowing just how cold it can get and still be expected to work reasonably well. There may be something regarding the altitude claim, however. I recall hearing somewhere that as altitude increases, pressure in a fuel canister increases relative to the decrease in outside air pressure.

I have an MSR Rapidfire (not sure they still make this). It's a cartridge stove and liiks just like the Whisperlight and have used it down into the low 20's. with good success but boil times are much longer. When the temps drop i use the Whisperlite.

John,

The whisperlite is a great stove that i've had for quite a while (the shakerjet version). It's a real blowtorch and reliable. But it's not the easiest stove to simmer or slow cook with. If your cooking trends towards longer cook times and the need to control the flame you might want to consider the Simmerlight.

Ive used my colman exponet xtreme in below freezing temps at crag camp w/ no probs. It may have taken a min or so longer but it worked well. I seem to remember that more than two other guys had to warm there fuel bottles to get there p rockets to work. I didnt have to warm my canister at all it stayed out all nite and started when i needed it to.

temp difference

I am sure you all know this, but remember...to boil water that starts at 70 deg. takes a lot less time then boiling water that starts at 40 deg. Perhaps that accounts for the longer time to boil?

I use a Dragonfly in the winter, and i LOVE it. Superfly in the summer. Both great stoves. The only problem i have heard about with the Coleman is that the fuel is proprietary. You can't use fuel from other brands like with some other canister stoves. And that may be an issue if you have to buy fuel at a small outdoors shop and there is no Mal-Wart nearby. I can use Primus fuel canisters with my Superfly for instance. And the Jet Boil canisters also, and they are super small and light. I may switch to those for single solo or 2 person overnites. I have a fear they may not be big enough to support the stove effectively though.

RVT