Colorado hiking maps?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone familiar with the Colorado Springs area? I'll be there in a few weeks.
Pikes is sort of the obvious thing out of the Springs, also Garden of the Gods. Let me know when you're going to be there; all of New Mexico is still closed due to fire danger (and now flood) so I have to go north to do any hiking.

Is this an epic snow year for Colorado? Seems crazy to me to have this much snow still leftover. I thought most 14-ers were typically snow-free by mid-July usually?
It was a very high snow year; I think Wolf Creek had 50+% more than normal. They got all our snow.

EDIT: Er, to the point...the NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps are very nice. The quads are also far more useful out west than in New England; I tend to get them from seamless.usgs.gov (you want 24k DRG orthoimagery).

Last edited:
Likewise, Lindsey seemed harder than Class 2+. Only three more left...
Congratulations on your finish.

My sister & I disagree on how hard Lindsey was, based on a short traverse near the summit. I said you could walk right across it and if you slipped you would stop in a few feet. She said the steps were tricky and you would slide for several minutes, fortunately didn't test this. We spent 9/11/01 on this hike, didn't hear any news until back in Boulder.

Check out this web site if interested in the 14ers. It has a ton of info, including maps and pics of routes...

http://www.14ers.com/

I was there a couple years ago and this is an excellent website loaded with info.

Local Ranger stations have maps and you can get a map of Rocky Mountain National Park from REI

Hope you have a good trip, it's a hikers paradise out there.

It was a very high snow year; I think Wolf Creek had 50+% more than normal. They got all our snow.

Interesting. I just got back from Northern California, and they had a high snow year as well. 2.5 weeks ago they still had snow at 7000 ft in the Sierra on the north slopes.

Thanks to everyone for the various Colorado suggestions and advice. I'm looking forward to going.

Ive got by with only Roaches guide and the maps in it, never bought any xtra maps but Im wierd I NEVER get lost.:eek: