Comments Garfield/Galehead/S.Twin/W. Bond Trip?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
My buddy approached me a week or so ago saying he wanted to do go camping "with some mountians". So I figured I'd show him some views of the Pemi Wilderness and surrounding areas. I figure I'll take him and possibly another buddy up Garfield by the Garfield Tr., summit Garfield then stay at the Garfield site for the night. Then day 2 we'd trek down Garfield Ridge trail to Galehead, ditch our packs, go up and down Galehead, then continue on Twinway over S. Twin and to the Guyot Site via Bondcliff Trail. Possibly summit W. Bond if we're up to it, if not that night, the next day probably. Then day three we'd go out to Zealand Rd. via Twinway and the Zealand Tr.

Now my two friends are young (21 +22) and in shape so I'm not too too concerned about their abilities as far as making the hike, even though their experience is limited. One has done Pierce but that's it as far as I know.

I guess what I want to know about is how the Garfield Tr. is and how the Garfield Ridge Tr. is from Garfield to Galehead. I've heard it is rough. I have been on Twinway from Galehead to the Bondcliff Tr. but not the rest of it to Zealand. Also anything to know about the W. Bond Spur??

Any comments on this trip are welcome. Thanks

Have fun

Garfield Trail is a nice not so strenuous hike. The ridge trail over to galehead is easier in the direction you are going rather than the reverse. West bond spur is a non-event but the treat at the end is my favorite place in the whites. I bet you'd be able to get Bond & the magnificent Bondcliff as well. When they see bondcliff from West Bond it will be hard to keep them away!

Bond + Bondcliff

I agree it would be hard to keep them away...although I've already done both. But I'd be up for goin over there again for sure, to this point, Bondcliff is my fav. spot in the Whites...I just want to be sure to hit West Bond. Thanks Panama

The Garfield trail runs 4.8 miles to the Garfield Ridge Trail. The elevation gain is about 2700', and it's basically an easy climb. From the Garfield Ridge Trail junction it's .2 mile to the summit of Garfield, this is somewhat steeper, but short. Garfield will provide you with excellent views assuming the weather cooperates.

The Garfield Ridge Trail has a steep section between the campsite and the junction with the Franconia Brook Trail . Other than that it's a relatively flat walk to the Gale River Trail junction. From here it's a short moderate hike up to the Galehead hut. Some sections of this trail are a little rocky and rooty, but there is little elevation gain.

The West Bond spur has a bit of a scramble just as you reach the summit, but other than that it's easy.

Hiking from the Garfield campsite to the Guyot campsite shouldn't be too difficult for you "less aged" hikers. :D

Garfield Ridge has many PUD's but more between Lafayette & Garfield then athe other way around a coupld of interesting steep downs but short in nature, first one you come too is harder of two, other may be on other side of Franconia Brook Trail.

West Bond is a favorite Sunset set location after you set up camp

Twinway to Zealand Falls from Guyot has several PUD's but not the same level as Garfield Ridge & easier which is good as it will be you're 3rd day. Multi day trips seem to weigh more on the fit but novice as your body really does not get a rest day.

Not to hijack your thread, but I was thinking about the same trip in the opposite direction:

Zealand trailhead to Guyot campsite the first day.
Maybe explore around the Bonds (w/o packs) the second day.
Twinway to Garfield tentsite for the third day.
Hike out Garfield on the fourth morning.

We will be bringing 2 trailhardy kids (11 and 12) with us, trying to keep their packs as light as possible.

Any pros or cons on doing this trip in one direction vs. the other?

Halite said:
Not to hijack your thread, but I was thinking about the same trip in the opposite direction:

Zealand trailhead to Guyot campsite the first day.
Maybe explore around the Bonds (w/o packs) the second day.
Twinway to Garfield tentsite for the third day.
Hike out Garfield on the fourth morning.

We will be bringing 2 trailhardy kids (11 and 12) with us, trying to keep their packs as light as possible.

Any pros or cons on doing this trip in one direction vs. the other?

Possible disadvantages to this route
Backpacking up to Guyot can make for a long day for some people.
The Twinway West of South Twin is very steep. It's not much fun to descend.....not much fun to climb either. :D

The Advantages:
A whole day on the Bonds. :D
Hiking out on day 4 from Garfield campsite will be a piece of cake. :)

Jim lombard said:
Whatever direction you go in, day one would be a killer. Especially with full packs.
Perhaps, but going up the Garfield Trail to the Garfield Ridge campsite is significantly easier than going up to Guyot via the Zealand Trail.

Garfield-Garfield Ridge:
5.2 miles, 2700' elevation gain, generally easy trail.

Zealand-Guyot:
7.5 miles, 2850' elevation gain, The Twinway has a potentially hazardous brook crossing just above the Zealand hut.
Beyond there the trail is moderate to steep until you reach Zeacliff. (Here a loop trail bears left to a cliff with great views, the loop continues and rejoins the Twinway further ahead. Well worth the detour clouds permitting.)
The Twinway between the Zealand-Guyot col and South Guyot (summit) is fairly rocky and has a few ledges to climb up.

Perhaps, but going up the Garfield Trail to the Garfield Ridge campsite is significantly easier than going up to Guyot via the Zealand Trail.

Good point.
I was thinking when I did it, I went from Garfield Trail to Guyot campsites though. Day 1 would be a piece of cake if you just went as far as the Garfield campsite. :eek: