Could this the the solution to the SAR dilemma?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddy

Reaction score
Found this on a friend's web site. This is just what we need. One of these at every trail head.
This is too perfect. I can't stop laughing.

248797_10101466389016732_1833068471_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm laughing at the fact that this appears to be a "universal" dilemma. IF this doesn't get their point across, I doubt anything will.
I figure they must have been out on one too many rescues to come up with this.
Sometimes you get better results if you just say it like it is.

Last edited:
My suspicion is that most rescuees don't expect to be rescued so would ignore any such sign (not to mention people who simply don't read signs like the guy I saw put $3 in the fee box without reading the note taped to it that no fees were collected that day, or the guy who took his dog up Monadnock not noting the large sign at the trailhead)

And of course the people who are deliberately unprepared because they know they'll be rescued if necessary, would just see the free helicopter ride :)

Speaking as a member of NYSFEDSAR teams, those SAR missions that the rangers don't resolve in the first 24 hours that call for SAR teams are becoming a higher and higher percentage of Alzheimer's and similar cases. Not likely many of those would see or take note of such a trailhead poster.

FYI, In case you don't know where this is, Arthur's Pass is on the South Island of NZ, and literally is the pass between Christchurch and the West Coast. It is rugged territory with very bad weather a lot of the time and plenty of rescues. I spent a few days in one of the huts there, pinned down by a storm. Anyone out in the bush at AP who isn't prepared for almost anything is asking for trouble. The SAR website is a fun read at times. One SAR report ended this way after rescuing a novice hiker abandoned by her friends - "We told her to get new friends." I haven't been there since the mid 80's, but perhaps other than cel service that covers part of the park, things probably haven't changed all that much.

Last edited:
Tom...thanks for sharing. I have a friend in vet school in Australia and she recently took a trip to New Zealand. I got this off her site. The "bush" is indeed unforgiving. Do you happen to have a link to that particular SAR website? :)

Accidents can and do happen even with the best preparations, skill set, physical conditioning, common sense and gear in the pack. I know we often think that those who are rescued lack one or more of these things and that is why they end up needing to be rescued but let us not forget that there are those times when things just seem to happen anyway despite our best planning, abilities and skill set. Not everyone that has had to be rescued has simply made poor decisions. Just thought I would throw this out there since we all know that any one of us could need to be rescued someday despite our best efforts and we would not want to be looked at as an idiot that did not have a clue or any regard for himself or those who have to rescue him/her.

This is taken from a classic AMC poster that used to grace the huts. I wish they would bring it back, as I suspect it would be a hot-selling item if sold at Pinkham Notch.
I knew that the NZ poem seemed familiar

Maddy, that's it. Jump from the site to see some of the other organizations. NZ has an extensive hut system. Some are fancier than others. The mountain huts tend to be a lot smaller and less fancy. Most of the mountain huts have radios that you use to check in for weather reports. It's interesting to listen to everyone checking in. Kiwis tend to have a wicked sense of humor and are big on the outdoors. You will often see women park rangers and women hikers, so it's not just the boys' club. The place is beautiful, but can be dangerous, kind of like where you all are. One problem is the weather. Because NZ is an island and not that far from Antarctica, the climate on the South Island is a maritime climate with changeable weather every few days, especially in the mountains. That's why the huts are so valuable. I've been in pouring rain there in a small tent (old TNF Flashlight) and in huts, which are far more comfy and far drier. Even the locals underestimate the weather sometimes. You would think they'd know better, but guess not, just like anywhere else.

Maddy, that's it. Jump from the site to see some of the other organizations. NZ has an extensive hut system. Some are fancier than others. The mountain huts tend to be a lot smaller and less fancy. Most of the mountain huts have radios that you use to check in for weather reports. It's interesting to listen to everyone checking in. Kiwis tend to have a wicked sense of humor and are big on the outdoors. You will often see women park rangers and women hikers, so it's not just the boys' club. The place is beautiful, but can be dangerous, kind of like where you all are. One problem is the weather. Because NZ is an island and not that far from Antarctica, the climate on the South Island is a maritime climate with changeable weather every few days, especially in the mountains. That's why the huts are so valuable. I've been in pouring rain there in a small tent (old TNF Flashlight) and in huts, which are far more comfy and far drier. Even the locals underestimate the weather sometimes. You would think they'd know better, but guess not, just like anywhere else.

Thanks! This is a fascinating web site. There is so much to search. The huts are great. Looking forward to more exploring. :cool:

Glad to help. One trip to AP, we took the train up from Christchurch and told the conductor where we wanted to be dropped off. He stopped the train for us, we grabbed our gear, jumped off and started hiking into one of the huts along the Waimakariri River. On the way back, we flagged down the train, got on and went back to ChCh.
If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link to the DOC (they run the parks)
http://www.doc.govt.nz/
And the link to APNP-
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/national-parks/arthurs-pass/

In some of the parks, there are huts owned by climbing clubs or hunting clubs, but if I recall correctly, they are available to anyone. It is rare to find one locked-people depend on them for shelter in storms, so they go on the honor system for paying fees. No one wants to see someone die because they can't get into a hut in bad weather; at least it used to be that way.