Cowan - Narrow Notch - East Gray

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
It was about time...With the odd and icy weather and driving conditions, combined with the need to get the 4 Catskill3500 Winter peaks done for Dick and Jo, I was sorely missing the Catskill HH peaks.
With perfect weather and a very sociable group, we got that monkey off our back today.

Our permission for Cowam Mt is due to expire on 5/5 with the landlowner's selling their property, and getting there was imperative. Dick, Jo, Ralph, Jen, Bill, Shiloh, Bookah and I hit Cowan with a vengeance. We lucked onto a series of logging, skidder and woods roads almost to the top. A little sun some clouds, chilly and breezy, perfect for hiking. Round trip to the wooded summit was an hour and a half. Not a bad way to start the day.

We then drove around to Narrow Notch Rd and onto Relay Rd to the last parking lot right in the NN-EG col. Saddled back up and hit the ridge, a few bumps and then the dogleg to NN's wooded summit. Woods roads almost the entire way made this hike easy and enjoyable. We retraced out route back to the cars, and then crossed the clearing and up East Gray. An overgrowing woods road for the first part, and then in and out of animal paths followed by a short 'whack to wooded summit. With the leaves off the trees, we had a great look at Plattekill ski area, and screened views of many, many of the Cat
3500ers such as BLM, Slide, D'top, Graham and others. Also a ton of Cat100 peaks...Old Clump, M'gomery Hollow, Moresville Range, Irish, others.
3 of us (4 with Bookah) had done Old Clump a couple of Decembers ago, so Jen, Bill and Ralph were going to then hit Old Clump from one of the EG ridges on the way out. When we got to the spot and looked it over, the roundtrip would have made for a very later return to the car and long ride home, so a hike to OC is planned for another day.

The Relay forest road is a great way for NN-EG. Provides terrific access to do this pair without needing permission.
When ascending EG, I'd recommend keeping to the right side of the ridge line when the woods road peters out. Lots of prickers on this one and this side of the ridge was much less 'scratchy'.

I had the good fortune to hike with a really good group today. And we owe a thank you to Moonray for the route suggestion and annotations on where to avoid prickers, etc.
Moonray, thanks for the comments on the view spot just below the first bump of NN. Excellent views.

Bookah 78/102