Crescent Moon Gold 10 snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijesi

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. Happy winter to all. :D

I've got a trip coming up to make a summit attempt on Basin and Saddleback (from the east) in the 'Dacks. I've made tentative plans to rent snowshoes from the Mountaineer in Keene for the trip.

Here's the thing: I'm kinda big. I weigh about 210, and my pack will bring me to a total of about 260. I'll be considerably lighter on summit day - hopefully around 225 with a day pack. In the past I've rented 36" Tubbs from EMS, but I'd like to stay away from a 36" shoe if I can. I find them unwieldy on the steep, narrow, winding chutes near the summmits, especially on the descents. I don't mind to sink a little more in level powder if it means I can more comfortably negotiate the trickier pitches. Also, the rear "claw" on the Tubbs doesn't dig in very well on the way down, and I tend to slip and fall.

The Mountaineer people tell me they'll rent me a pair of Crescent Moon Gold 10 snowshoes, even though I'll be a little above the weight recommendation on the way in and on the way out.

I'm intrigued by the shape of the Crescents; they look to be easier to walk in. But do any of you have any experience with the product? Any info would be welcome.

Thanks in advance. :)

--Sijesi

sijesi said:
I don't mind to sink a little more in level powder if it means I can more comfortably negotiate the trickier pitches. Also, the rear "claw" on the Tubbs doesn't dig in very well on the way down, and I tend to slip and fall.

Don't know anything about the Crescent Moon. Two alternatives that spring to mind are MSR's Denali Evo Ascent and Lightning Ascent. Both feature lots of traction and a heel-lifter bar for uphill climbing that is a real boon. I have the Denali Ascent, which is the predecessor to the Evo line, and I'm real pleased with mine. With the 8" Denali tail added, I'm good to go wth my 205 pounds, plus clothes, plus pack, for most anything in the Northeast. MSR says the Evo plus the 6" Evo tails will do the same for the weights you're describing. Lightning has no optional tails, and apparently the largest size is 8x25. Haven't met anyone who has used them yet.

One pair of snowshoes that I own are the Crescent Moon Gold 17 (37'"). Nice floatation, but I don't like the traction system - on steep slopes, I tend to slip and slide.

Nowadays, if I anticipate steep slopes, I taking the Tubbs.

I used a pair on a trip up Whiteface brook slide last year and found them to stride very well and have good floatation, but as Willie said, they lacked traction on the down hills. I just about rolled down the mountain due to the lack of grip. A pair of skis would have been better. Great binding system though.