Croched Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
Hello...

This summer I will be leading some teenagers on some various adventures. Some hiking, swimming, 6 Flags, ect. I decided to change one of the hikes (Mt. Greylock) because the drive time is too much. I've been looking at something somewhat close by, but exciting. I found Croched Mountain. Now I have to say I did a search and not much came up. I've hiked a ton in NH and never even heard of this little mountain (or hill). If anyone has any info about it. Please post. Thanks.

Do you mean Crotched Mountain, perhaps?

It's in Southern New Hampshire, elevation 2040 feet, north of Monadnock. I climbed it with my son when he was four years old. If memory serves, there are three trails, each named after the town from which it originates. We took the Greenfield Trail. It wasn't difficult, he made it all the way himself. The only things I really remember about it were that we could hear gunfire now and then off to the south (the date was October 27, 1995) and when we stopped to take a break, I dropped a bagel and we sat there watching it roll and roll and roll down the mountain. It just kept going. I guess the other thing I recall was that the summit had several radio or telephone towers inside a fence. I don't think there was a view.

It was worth climbing the one time, because I'd seen it so many times from Monadnock and probably Pack Monadnock too and been curious about it.

I have a feeling that in a previous discussion about Crotched Mountain on this Web site, Mohamed may have pointed out that the trails have all been renamed.

Crotched Mtn is kind of a nice place. Raymond is right, there are a couple of fenced-off radio towers at the summit, although they are fairly small (esp. compared to nearby S. Uncanoonuc Mtn).

I've hiked up from the trail that starts at the Crotched Mtn Foundation (a place for medical rehabilitation / education for people w/ disabilities), it has gradual climbs & good views most of the way. The AMC Southern NH Trail Guide is probably the best description of this trail, I forget exactly how to get there but you follow the road up to Crotched Mtn Foundation from Greenfield near the state park.

edit: p.s. if you are looking for something in the area that is more ambitious/strenuous, I would recommend Pack Monadnock and/or North Pack Monadnock.

Crotched does have some views from a little below the towers. But the radio tower area itself is kind of ugly. In addition to N & S Packs, Skatutakee offers great views of the Wapack range and Monadnock and has a nice loop trail that passes by a couple of nice ponds. Bald mtn. also in Hancock also has very nice views and a couple of loop trails.

In addition to the AMC guide, here is another good book on this area
Monadnock area hikes

Last edited:
I have hiked the 3 trails, there was also once a trail up a pole line near the ski area. There is also a trail network from Rte.136 by the Francestown Conservation Commission, hike it with your family but don't lead a group without permission. The summit has been trashed for the last 30 years or so, the warden's cabin and fire tower long gone. There are better views from outlooks than the summit itself.