crowded trails this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
I know that memorial weekend is probably the worst time to hike in order to avoid crowds, but how might they be up in the pilot range? I've never done Starr King/Waumbek and have an itch to scratch. If a 4000 footer is too busy, maybe I'll head to the Mahoosucs again.

You should be fine up that far north. It's pretty rare that Starr King/Waumbek get as crowded as, say, Mt. Washington.

You'll probably have to share the peak the 'squiters and other insects, however, so bring the bug juice! :eek:

solitude on trails

If you truly crave a solitary hiking experience on a trail this weekend, head for the Mahoosucs

Wouldn't exactly be solitary...

in the Mahoosucs, as you'll share the space with roughly 12,453,501,763 other critters, all but a few of which identify you as their next meal. :eek:.. but if you have an itch to scratch and want more, that's the place to be! :)

primo

Its been many years since Ive tramped the Mahoosics, but I remember that range very well. IMo one of the top backcountry trips in the northeast. I did it in 2 nights, I had planned a 3rd night at speck pond which would have been nice, but I got there early so I hit the road, I think 2 nights if your decent speed, 3 if your casual, either way its a gem. I remember coming out in the open to the first pond on day one, there where 2 beautiful girls nude sunbathing on the rocks, man there are many incredible sights to behold in the mountains for sure. ;)