Daks: Late Friday night arrival..where to sleep (trail)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BML

Reaction score
My hiking partner and I are planning a few hikes that will see us getting to the Daks around 9pm on Friday nights. Rather than sleeping in the car, the plan would be to hike into the woods (a mile or so) to set up camp.

One thought is from The Garden parking lot, I think there is a campsite abou a mile in. Would the parking lot be full on a Friday night? Or does it tend to fill up early Saturday?

What about along Route 73 (St Huberts area: between Round Pond and the golf course)?

Any othe suggestions? (We are driving in from Montreal, so I guess Route 73 is as far south as we would get within reasonable time).

Or, as the other thread as suggested do most of you late-night arrivals just car camp till sunrise?

My preference would be to do like last year and get in early Friday morning but this won't be possible this summer.

Thanks for your suggestions.

bernard

The garden is a great place to park for a friday hike in. We have done it a few times, including in the winter. Don't forget to do your parking pass. The hike into JBL is about a 1-1.5 hour hike if you are hauling. It really gives you a jump on mountain climbing though. There are nice tenting sites there, and a pretty good leanto. Don't forget your bear containers. I have heard reports of bears in that area. I'll be in the dax this weekend too, heading up from Lake Colden to summit Gray and Marcy on Saturday. Maybe we'll run into each other.

-percious

There are also car camping locations at South Meadow and at Chapel Pond. South Meadow is located off the ADK Loj Road - follow the dirt road to the end and theres a ton of sites. The sites at Chapel Pond are closer to St. Huberts - there is a dirt road on the west side of 73 just above Chapel Pond after you pass a cut in the rocks - it's right across from the talus fields below the Spider's Web.

peace
Oysterhead

And parking should be available even at 9pm?

Thanks to all for your responses,

The Garden does sound like the first place to try and though no one stated it explicitely, I understand from your approval on this route that I should be able to park at The Gardens even at 9pm on Friday night, is that right? ... I know at that hour, there will be no shuttle and I don't want to drive into a full parking lot and have to come up with a plan B at that hour.

I have hiked in to JBL from The Gardens once before and had to park at the overflow parking down below.

It would be great to find a place we are familiar with to crash on Friday nights so we can hit the peaks as early as possible the next day.

Thanks again.

Bernard