Davis Path and Overnight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
Chinooktrail and I spotted cars early on Thursday 9/6 morning eager to get out for what we expected would be a challenging overnight trip. We started up Mt. Crawford via the Davis Path from Route 302 at 0715. The temperature was a bit cool with generally overcast skies with some low clouds to the south. Humidity was low, but the forecast was for increasing temps and humidity through the rest of the week.

Tine was not looking forward to the steep and abrupt approach to Mt. Crawford so early in the morning. We made decent book time taking a break for water at the first rocky lookouts to the south. We saw clouds cutting in and out of the mountains to the south with, what we called, Mt. Marshmallow, as the centerpiece. Later, we found out that Mt. Marshmallow was Chocorua (but it did look like melted marshmallows on a Sunday!)

We continued up and down the Davis Path, past the Mt. Resolution turnoff. In our conversation, we blew past the Stairs turnoff without noticing it. Neither Chinooktrail nor I had been past the Stairs turnoff before on the Davis Path (until Isolation).

I really enjoyed this section of the hike. The trail wound through deeper woods with several shorter rises and falls on its way to the base of Mt. Davis. The trail is not blazed, but is easy to follow. There were very few places that permitted a good view of the surroundings until we arrived to Mt. Davis.

We climbed up the Mt. Davis spur trail to find one of the most amazing peaks I have been to in the Whites. Like Isolation, it is uniquely positioned below Boott Spur with a nice view of the southern Presidentials and a unique perspective looking down the Wildcats and Carters. Its summit is much more open than that of Isolation. It has nice views to the southern mountains and has a tranquil feeling amongst all the giants surrounding it. We broke out lunch and enjoyed the serenity. On this day, the southern mountain, though under overcast, were beautiful, as were the Carters/Wildcats. The Presis were out of clouds until Monroe which was socked in, as was Washington ahead of us.

We climbed off Mt. Davis and headed to Mt. Isolation. As we reached the summit, we met our first hiker of the day. Ironically, he was finishing his quest of reaching all 48 4k’s, something he began eighteen years prior. We congratulated him, looked around the summit, and headed on toward Boott Spur.

Our time away from civilization had ended as we saw a few groups hiking below tree line as we headed on and up for Boott Spur. The steep section in the trees was tough on the knees and feet. The strong wind felt great coming above the tree line. Chinooktrail and I kept each other going with the old line “just a bit further” and “I think I can see the hut!”

We passed Boott Spur and headed around the Davis Path to Camel Path. The trek through “moon rocks” was seemingly endless. We finally spotted Lakes of the Clouds Hut and saw Mt. Monroe coming out from its heavy cloud coverage. We enjoyed a nice evening at a full hut.

The next morning, we awoke for breakfast and a quick climb up and down Monroe before heading on our way. We skipped Washington to get Mt. Clay for Christine, and then headed down the Jewell Path back to our car spot. Friday was much warmer and the humidity increased as the day continued.

Thanks Tine for a great time, for lots of laughs, and your continued positive outlook.