DAX Adventures 12-30 thru 1-3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
Well the time has arrived, whether or not I am ready or whether or not the weather is ready, to drive up from CT into the Adirondacks for my first winter hiking adventure outside of the Whites. Thank God and the individual hikers for all the recent trailbreaking. The weather is looking a little dicey. Looks like everything could get a good coating of ice today. Friday may be the best of the 5 days. Possible snow showers/mixed precip for Saturday/Sunday with the likelihood of rain showers for Monday/Tuesday. But that's a long term forcast. I of course am hoping it snows. Rain would compromise my desire to go with real down and save weight, especially the Saturday to Sunday overnight.

Friday: Everything looks good for Sawteeth-Gothics-Armstrong-the Wolf Jaws. Trail conditions suggest that the trails have been packed out as recently as the 27th. I'll be leaving from the Ausable Club between 8:00 and 9:00, hopefully. I know I should get started earlier and will try to because this is a long hike, but knowing my circadian rhythms I'm figuring worse case scenario.

Saturday: Things look good to do Phelps-TableTop-Marcy. Will start from the Loj parking lot, hopefully around 8:00am. I've read no trail condition reports that suggest paths to Gray or Skylight have been forged recently. If the trail is not packed beyond Marcy, the snow is too deep, and the trail hard to follow I may retrace my steps and head over to do Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright the next day overnighting somewhere in the woods.

Sunday: Clearly I have no idea from where I will start out as it depends on where I end up from the day before. I may miss Gray and Skylight on Saturday, but no matter what will shoot for Algonquin-Iroquois-Wright from whereever I start out.

Monday: Dial-Nippletop-Blake-Colvin. Starting out from the Ausable Club. Start time again between 8:00 and 9:00. Could possibly rain so not to sure how this day will go. Trail has been broken recently though.

Tuesday: Might start at Round Pond to do Dix-Hough-Carson-Macomb-Grace. I have not heard of any recent activity in this area. I may opt for Cascade and Porter if there's no sign of hiking up the Boquet or from Round pond. Weather also may impact my decision. Another option may be to try to bag Haystack, Basin, and Saddleback.

Last edited: