Day hike around Woodstock, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charolastra

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be spending the weekend in Woodstock, VT and should be able to get out for a hike on Sunday. Any recommendations? I'd like to be able to use my snowshoes for the first time this year and hike to the top of a mountain in a couple/few hours. Is Killington the best bet?

Thanks a ton.

You wont NEED snowshoes for Killington, however they may get some new snow tonight into friday.

You'll be close to Ascutney in Weathersfield too, closer than Killington anyway... (I've hiked Ascutney via the Weathersfield Trail and found it pretty nice and a bit of a variety.) there are multiple ways to hike it...

Jay

The old AT from the top of the land across from the Inn at the Long Trail is a nicely graded trail and easy to get to. It does cross the ski area at a couple of point so beware.

While you are there make sure to stop by the Inn for a pint and one of their many good specialities.

The old AT from the top of the land across from the Inn at the Long Trail is a nicely graded trail and easy to get to. It does cross the ski area at a couple of point so beware.

While you are there make sure to stop by the Inn for a pint and one of their many good specialities.

Actually the Sherburne trail (aka the old A.T.) only merges with one of the trails at Pico for about 100ft. You don't actually cross the trail, but going towards Killington you hang a left onto the ski run then 100ftish later you hang another left back into the woods. Once you go past the Pico Shelter, you will cross an access road too but I think that's not really a ski run, it had snowcat tracks when we crossed it.

Jay

Pico from the height of land on Route 4 at Sherburne Pass is probably the best option for the timeframe you mentioned. For something much more mellow, Mount Tom right in Woodstock is a nice place to spend a few hours.

We ended up taking the stroll up to Mt. Tom on Saturday and then hiked up Ascutney on Sunday. Great days for hiking. Even though I knew it would be the case, I was really stunned the whole weekend by the lack of snow up there.

Thanks for the help.