Devil's Kitchen Lean-to, Kaaterskill High Peak, and Huckleberry Point 5/7 - 5/9/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
Pictures Here

Yet another weekend trip with my friend Anna down to the Catskills to bag some more peaks and another lean-to.

We got somewhat of a late start on Friday afternoon, arriving at the trailhead where the Long Path crosses Platte Clove Road right as darkness was falling. We grabbed our packs, donned our headlamps, and headed across the King Post Bridge into the Platte Clove Preserve.

The trail in is in pretty good shape- in the Platte Clove Preserve it has been rerouted off of the old Overlook Mountain Road due to severe erosion, and I don't think it gets much use due to the popularity of the Prediger Road trailhed, despite the added distance when coming from there. It was certainly interesting to be backpacking along what was essentially a nature trail- complete with little informational signs pointing out different tree species as well as historical artifacts, such as the Overlook Road and a bluestone quarry.

As the trails goes up only moderate grades before leveling offer a little ways north of the lean-to, we made it there quite quickly. We arrived to find two girls with a tent set up inside the lean-to. Apparently it was their first backpacking trip into the Catskills, and they were unaware of many of the regulations. No big deal, however, as they welcomed us into the lean-to with them and the tent was small enough for us to have plenty of space for ourselves. They had come in the same way we had, elected the shorter Platte Clove Preserve Approach to the longer Prediger Road one. (One of the girls and I later realized that we had gone to high school together!)

Having already eaten dinner prior to starting our hike, we were soon in bed and nearly asleep when we were awoken by 5 hikers showing up at the lean-to. It turned out that between them, they only had one small tarp for shelter; they had come in from Prediger Road, and I'm guessing that when they arrived at the trailhead to find it empty, they assumed that the lean-to would be empty as well, either not knowing about other potential approaches to the lean-to, or just assuming that no one would use them. Either way, they were obviously concerned given the forecast for rain during the night and into the next day, and with four people already in the lean-to, it was going to be a tight fit to get five more. They awoke the two girls in the tent, and asked them to move the tent outside of the lean-to so that they could stay in it, explaining "that they had no other option, and that it's illegal to have tents erected in a lean-to," which is correct, but that "it was legal for the girls to pitch their tent next to the lean-to," which is incorrect. The girls graciously agreed to this, however, and after much moving of equipment out of and into the lean-to, everyone settled down for the night. (Side note: This was lean-to number 76 for me!)

During the night, a thunderstorm of moderate intensity blew through. The rain was pretty heavy at times, although the lightening and thunder was fairly week. I think that being on the eastern edge of the catskills, and on the leeward side of Indian Head Mountain and the rest of the Devil's Path, the storm had lost a lot of it's strength and intensity by the time it got to us- most of the cloud to ground lightening was probably striking the summit, several miles to the west.

When we awoke, we encountered steady rainfall and cooler temperatures. The group of five without sufficient shelter packed up early and headed out- they were climbing Indian Head, Twin, and Sugarloaf, and intended to stay at the Mink Hollow Lean-to the second night, and hike back over Sugarloaf and Twin to return to the parking area on Sunday. I hope that they got to the Mink Hollow Lean-to and found that there was space available. Hopefully they learned from this to always carry shelter even if you think the lean-to you're headed to is empty.

We packed day packs, and headed back norther along the Long Path. At Platte Clove Road, we noticed a sign we hadn't seen in the darkness the previous night asking hikers to park at the DEC trailhead parking area down the road, so we moved the car before continuing north towards out destination, Kaaterskill High Peak.

Snowmobile Trails generally don't make good hiking trails, and the section of the Long Path between Platte Clove Road and Kaaterskill High Peak is no exception to this rule. South of the height of land, the trail was filled with rocks of all sizes. It wasn't especially difficult to hike along, but it did require coordination and balance at times, and was fairly rough on your knees and ankles. Upon reaching the height of land, it turns into a very nice, flat, beautiful section of trail for a short distance before worsening again. The north side of the height of land is just as wet as the south side was rocky. We encountered flooded section after flooded section of trail. The NYNJTC map labels this area as "Pine Plains," but we noticed no pines anywhere, and there certainly wasn't anything resembling a plain either. At least the rain started to cease, and the sun actually started to come out as we continued along the trail.

Eventually, we reached the junction with the foot trail- the snowmobile trail here makes a left hand turn to head south towards the loop trail around Kaaterskill High Peak, which we took, and the Long Path continues straight as a foot path. This junction was well marked, as was the next junction, where the snowmobile trail intersects the loop snowmobile trail around the mountain. The loop trail unfortunately had several sets of fresh dirt bike tracks on it. We turned right (west) on the loop trail, and before long found the junction with the herd path (the old Twilight Park Trail) up Kaaterskill High Peak, which was also fairly obvious.

The trail was easy to follow, and went pretty much straight up the mountain. It was very similar in character to any of the herd paths on the "trail-less" Adirondack High Peaks. The trail was fairly wet still in a lot of spots, which was to be expected as it faces north and doesn't get as much sunlight. About two thirds of the way up, we encountered a ledge that gave us some views to the north of Kaaterskill Clove and the Blackhead Range, but it was a pretty sketchy ledge that sloped down to a sheer drop. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk out to the edge.

After a fair bit of climbing the trail leveled off, and took us through some really cool fir stands until we popped out on the summit. There is a moderately sized clearing here, and the summit USGS marker is in the woods about 10 or 15 feet to the east, not too hard to find. There was a piece of plane wreckage at the summit as well. Three very distinct paths leave the summit- one going north, which we came from, one going east, and one going south. We took the east one first, intending to try and find the plane wreck near the summit. In this endeavor, we were unsuccessful, but our journey down the herd path was not without merit. It soon became obvious that we were headed downhill. We reached a point where it looked like the path faded out over a rock ledge, and I seriously considered turning back, but I decided to hop down over the ledge and take a look just to see if it went any further. I’m sure glad I did, because another 50 feet further on, the path ended on a rock ledge with spectacular views of the Hudson River Valley, Plattekill Clove, Overlook Mountain, and the eastern extremes of the Devil’s Path. This lookout point is shown on the NYNJTC map, but the herd path to it is not. It looks like the herd path has received some recent “improvements” as there were lots of cut branches along it. Of the plane crash, however, we saw no sign other than the piece of wreckage at the summit.

After returning to the summit, we took the herd path south to check out Hurricane Ledges. The view from here was even more spectacular, and made a perfect lunch spot even though it was a bit windy. By this point, though the sun was out in full force shining through numerous gaps in the clouds, allowing us to dry off some of our wet clothing. I strongly recommend that everyone who climbs Kaaterskill High Peak from the north make the effort to head down the short distance to the south to check out the view from the ledges, even if you don’t intend to descent that way.

After lunch, we decided to descend the ledges. It was steep, and there were some tricky scrambles to negotiate, as well as some narrow sections of trail that traversed sideways along the hill, but nothing too terribly difficult. Before long, we had reached the southern portion of the snowmobile loop trail. This junction was marked with a pretty large cairn. Again here, we saw the same dirt bike tracks as on the northern portion, indicating that the responsible parties had probably done the whole loop around the mountain.

Continued in next post…

Continued from above

We continued east along the snowmobile trail, which was rough going in spots (no surprise here though!) After rounding the eastern end of the mountain, we encountered the second plane crash. This one can’t be missed, as it’s practically right in the middle of the trail. Just north of the plane crash, we turned east to bushwhack down through the woods back to the Long Path, which we found to not be far away at all- the only obstacle was a rock ledge about halfway between which wasn’t too difficult to negotiate. On the way back, we did find a herd path between the Long Path and the plane crash on the snowmobile trail, marked at both ends with a small cairn. The path is much more visible on the Long Path side, but is marked on the western sides of the trees with silver spray paint which are not visible when traveling from east to west. We also found a small cairn at the height of land on the eastern side of the Long Path- we speculated that this marks where to turn off to go check out the viewpoint shown on the NYNJTC map on the small bump just east of the height of land, but we didn’t have time to go check it out as we wanted to go check out Huckleberry Point.

Returning south along the Long Path, we made our way to the junction to the yellow-marked Huckleberry Point trail. As we traversed the first half mile of this trail, we noticed something interesting- there were piles of rocks all throughout the woods. They had obviously been a result of human activity, and we saw probably at least a hundred piles of rocks about knee to thigh height, and the rocks themselves ranging from 6 inches to 2 feet across. There seemed to be absolutely no rhyme or reason for their existence, and the guide book (the older version of the ADK Catskills Guidebook with the yellow cover) makes no mention of them. Does anyone know what these piles were for?

Huckleberry Point is an extremely interesting destination- the ecology there is unlike anything I’ve ever seen in the Catskills. Pitch pine dominates, and we also saw lots of mapleleaf viburnum and mountain maple on the way out. The ground was covered in blueberry and huckleberry bushes, and we also saw lots of wild flowers, including pink lady slippers. The views from the point were magnificent; Plattekill Clove is right at the forefront, with Indian head, Plattekill Mountain, and Overlook Mountain towering overhead. To the east, the Hudson River Valley took up much of the view. I don’t think too many people ever take the time to visit this vantage point, but it is well worth the trip, even as the primary destination of your hike.

We returned to the lean-to to find that the two girls had left, and that two other hikers had showed up, having hiked in from the south over Overlook Mountain. They had a nice roaring fire going, and were concerned that we, having occupied the lean-to first, might be bothered by it- which of course we weren’t, as the temperatures felt like they had dropped steadily throughout the day. Their tent was set up nearby, as they elected to stay in it rather than the lean-to due to the cold temperatures forecast for the night. After a quick dinner of tortellini, we crawled into our sleeping bags and fell asleep.

The next morning, we awoke to find scattered patches of snow on the ground. No major accumulation, just a few flakes here and there that the wind had blown and consolidated into a clump, but it was definitely a sign that summer has not yet officially arrived. As we got ready to hike out, I took some time to explore the surroundings of the lean-to. There is an obvious rock foundation and numerous old bricks scattered around behind the lean-to- is there where one of the hotels along the Overlook Mountain Road was? Judging from the number of “no camping” discs, old fire rings, and campsites nearby (as well as the fact that we shared the lean-to with 3 separate groups throughout the weekend), I’m guessing that this is a very popular lean-to. I wandered up a herdpath leading uphill behind the lean-to to a flat spot and found three obvious campsites. One of these, the leftmost or southernmost site, was super nice, with a well constructed firepit and several stone “easy chairs” next to it, but unfortunately is an illegal site as it was not even 30 feet from the stream. The middle site was not too great, but there was a pretty decent site back and to the right (north) that I think is far enough from the stream to be legal. There were several other illegal sites nearby as well. This is an area that could obviously benefit from a designated site in addition to the lean-to.

Our hike back out the car was uneventful, and we drove into the town of Hunter to find some cheap breakfast and warm liquids before continuing our weekend adventure over at Halcott Mountain, which will be continued in a separate trip report.