Different types of hiking boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
I just did a search of the forums and could not find a specific thread that described this topic. I have just gotten back into hiking this summer and have heard lots of talk about different types of boots for different conditions. I bought a pair of Asolo Fugitive boots and was wondering if someone could outline the different types of boots. Thanks a lot and I'm sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else on the site.

-Tomahawk

Wow, the range of what people hike in is a large area.

Barefeet
Sandals
Sneakers
Trail runners
Low-cut hikers
Heavy duty hikers
Backpack boot
Insulated leather
Plastic

And several things in between.

I just bought a pair of Asolo TPS 520's from EMS. I also just renewed my interest in hiking. I have gotten out of touch with all the latest and greatest stuff. These Asolo's aren't cheap, but I preferred all leather. They were soft and comfy right out of the box.
I may resubscribe to Backpacker magazine. They used to have an annual gear guide that'll keep you busy for a while.
Just by discovering this website, I've been able to learn quite a bit from reading the posts.
Take care, Eric