Dinner Time!!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pucknuts61

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Slow day at work, so I figure I'd start a thread and get some opinions on something we all like....FOOD!
I've been down the freeze dried route and tried all the brands etc.
I was wondering if anyone have any decent dinner time backcountry suggestions that aren't posted in BackPacker? You know, personal recipes for simple suppers....preferably without octupus. :D

Sho nuff, way down south we backpackas like ta whip up a hot batch o grits w Ole El Paso taco seeznun thown in!!! Goes real good w sum pan fried trout too, iffin ya catch ketch um up... or ya can just throw in some cheese fer yer protein. Finger lickin good either way!!! :D :D :D

Octopus

If you're not eating octopus on the trail then you haven't lived. How can I possibly supply any recipes if you've banned my central ingrediant? Open your mind man. Have you ever even tried Fancy Octopus out of the can? Do yourself a favor and go buy it at the grocery store (next to the tuna) and some crackers. I bet you'll be posting tomorrow asking about anyone with good octopus recipes.

No real recipe for octopus... just open the can and put pieces on your favorite cracker!!! uuummmm. All the big food markets have it. Check out the Goya brand section.
Another treat I now really enjoy, is instant miso soup, and throw in some dehydrated shrimp. Very good stuff.

It's whatever you want.

It started with a chalenge. A hiking companion chalenged me to make green chili enchaladas. That started the ball rolling, and I've made all kinds of things. Lets see.. two nights ago, I made a chichen-galangal-coconut soup, spring rolls, and a Thai green chicken curry. How about fresh fried tortilla chips. Yep, fry them right there. Chips will break if you haul them in.

How about this one. Bread some (somewhat thinly sliced) boneless chicken breast, then fry it. Put the chicken in the bottom of a 2 liter pot, then slice onion, zuccini, tomato and peppers. Layer the vetetables over the chicken drench with olive oil, sprinkle with salt fresh oregano and basil leaves. Coer the pot. Put this pot in a 4 liter pot that has about an inch of water in it. It acts as a double boiler. Cook for about 20 mintues, then cover with a mix of mozzerella and parmesean cheese, and cook for another 20 minutes.

While the chicken is cooken, make some risoto to go with it.

The only hitch is that a meal like this is not lightweight or fast. You're probably talking about 5-7 pounds for a meal for two.

Oh yeah. Also carry a growler of beer to go with it. Add another 5 pounds for the beer. Pretty sure that was the meal we had at the Gentian Pond shelter one night. Heavy, but worth it.... Uhhh.. The fresh spices (basil and oregano) are very lightweight.

For 3 season backpacking I like to try and go gourmet. You have more time to cook and if I'm just hiking in and setting up a basecamp in the ADK's or wherever then I don't mind the weight. Having a tasty meal to look forward to is way worth the extra pound or two. I rarely eat freeze dried stuff, its expensive and not really that tasty.

Personal favourites:

Chicken Quesadillas: I bring corn oil, tortillas, lunch meat chicken (or chunks in spring/fall), cheese, dehydrated refried beans... mmmmm mmmm mmm

Fried Pita and Hummus is a a keeper, lots of calories and oh so tasty after a hike.

Red Pepper pasta....
Spaghettini, Olive Oil, Spice ziplock with Parmesan Cheese, Crushed red peppers, basil, minced garlic. carbo loading goodness.

In the spring/fall:
PreCooked Uncle Bens Rice (I like the garlic flavor) then add:
Snow peas, peppers, bean sprouts, chicken.

For the 16 hour epic hikes:
Idahoan Instant Mashed Potatoes, Boil water, enjoy, crash in sleeping bag

Your campmates will love you, and who doesn't like a little love.... ;)

-Shayne

I am of the same mind set as Pete Hickey where on 1-2 night trips I will carry out fresh food to cook up for my hiking partners. Anything from Chicken Tikka Masala to Vegetable Fajitas to Spinach Lasagna and everything in between. For longer trips of 4-10 days, I have still been known to carry freshly cooked foods for the first night out but for the following nights I cook mostly Lipton Pasta and Rice Packets and Thai Kitchen makes some great lightweight easy to cook meals. I LOVE their Pad Thai and on the LT, I even just cooked up the noodles, placed them in a freezer ziplock, added butter and seasoning package and stirred, ate and disposed of bag, no clean-up.

Those who have hiked with me in the past know that I don't skimp on weight when it comes to good food . . .

Here is another easy lighterweight option for Chicken Fajitas. Get the foil pack chicken, open it up at camp, stir right into the foil pack some fajita seasoning, place the spiced chicken and some butter into a tortilla and cover with pepperjack cheese, wrap up the fajita and fold into a piece of heavy duty foil, place the foil package into 2 inches of water in a pan, cover and bring to boil, flipping package every once in a while and keeping an eye that the water doesn't dry out, it makes for a perfectly melted, cheese and chicken fajita. Try it, yummy !!

sli74

In the winter you can bring some interesting stuff. If setting up a base camp and hiking from there I get alittle creative.

My buddy brings along homemade Korean barbacue and rice....excellent stuff...

I like to bring precooked shrimp and Lipton alfredo mix then whip up a batch of shrimp alfredo. Please dont begg......

If traversing or moving camp often mountain house spagetti or other easy, compact and light dinners are brought.

Quick, light, tasty and simple

Summer sausage and rice.

Get one of each:
- Cellophane wrapped beef summer sausage (it doesn't need refrigeration)
- Instant rice
- Bouillon cube

Cut sausage into 1/2" squares.
Boil water for rice.
Add rice to water and cover for about 5 mins.
Add sausage and bouillon cube to rice and heat to eating temperature.

ENJOY!

Will feed two people, is easy to carry, quick to cook and healthy.