Dix, Hough, South Dix and East Dix

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

Reaction score
From Route 73 to the slide on Dix, well packed trail. Up the trail beside the slide well packed should use crampons. From there to the summit was well packed, with some meal in the trail.

From Dix to the summit of Hough, trail was firm with some spruce traps. From Hough to South Dix we broke trail. Did not follow the herd path. Many spruce traps. THis path goes through thick brush and over many knobs. Will not be an easy trail to follow. So make sure you're prepared to go through this if you want to go that way.

From South Dix to the summit of East Dix, we followed herd path most of the way. Not too bad of a path. From the cove between South Dix and East Dix, we went down the left side of slide. To the South Fork Boquet River. This was the first time I had been out this way. I did not really know where the trail was. I followed the information I had received from a friend. Went down the river most of the way to where we cut off towards the North of Lily Pad Pond. Be careful traveling down the river, we broke through the ice several times.

Across the North Fork River and out to 73. Somebody else had broke trail from 73 into the North Fork. We had a total of 14 hours hiking and a half hour walk down the road back to the vehicles, with a total of 6 hours driving time that day.

Sam, I see with the clear, dry weather you've got out quite a bit lately. Doing the whole Dix Range in one shot is quite a haul, especially adding in the road trip at the end. You must be getting close to finishing your winter round if you haven't already.

Pvon

Pvon,

Yes, I have been pretty lucky with the weather. No snow to plow for the highway department. I was hoping to get all five of the Dixes, but I settled for four. I've only got eight left to go. I've got Algonquin, Iroquios, Wright, Tabletop, Phelps, Whiteface, Ester and McComb. And the bonus one McNaughton. If the weather's good, I'll be back out this weekend.

Sam