Dix Range - 2/28 - 3/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Took the herd path in from Rt 73 along the Boquet river. The trail was faint at times, and strong in other portions. We stayed south of the river the whole way, as the river is too high to cross. Another group started on the north side, but had to backtrack to the south, as they also had a hard time finding a crossing.

We took the wrong way after the last campsite and ended up on Spotted mountain instead of East Dix (I would not recommend following our path). We later saw prints on East Dix, so the other group must have made it by the more proper route.

There was no trail evident between East Dix and South Dix or Hough or Dix, but you might be able to follow our tracks now. Snowshoes were required for the whole trip. We brought crampons, expecting ice at the summits, but never used them.

Having never done this route before, I didn't know what to expect, but there was no clear trail for much of the way, even along the ridgeline. If you come this way, expect to do a *lot* of bushwhacking through low trees and spruce traps.

The marked trail from Dix down to Round Pond is well marked and well broken. The very steep bits near the top will be tough if you are ascending, but good for sliding down.

We met another group coming up to Hough from Elk Lake and back the same way, so that trail is well broken as well.

The weather was excellent, with temps in the 20s, sunshine, and almost no wind. Probably the best weather and best views I have ever had for a winter ADK trip.