Down jackets and Sierra

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if the topic of this post is outside the scope of what is appropriate or reasonable to discuss on this board but I was wondering if anyone knows how/from where Sierra Trading Post obtains the merchandise that it offers on the website? While looking at down jackets, for example, I notice that most of the jackets they offer are not found online, or if they are, only in a few places. For example, if I look up, on google, some of the jackets they're currently offering (Marmot Quilted Down, Mammut down, etc), I find that Sierra is the only company offering this product. Likewise, I ordered a pair of Atlas snowshoes last year, they were the "Summit" model, which looks very similar to the 1225 but nobody I talked to knows anything about the Summit--including people who have worked at gear stores for several years. Does Sierra get their merchandise made exclusively for them?

On a side note: is Sierra Designs related to Sierra Trading Post? And has anyone seen the Sierra Designs Titan jacket on sale anywhere? It's on the Sierra Designs website, but no merchant currently offers it.

I think they generally handle close-out items, odd sizes or previous years models, so other full-priced retailers are on to the new equipment with all the size choices.
I've bought several items there (including a $300 pair of double plastic boots for $80.00) and have been very happy.

STP is a great place to get close-outs, seconds, and discontinued items. I just bought a whole bunch of stuff last night. :)

As others have said, they only sell what is available out there, they don't have any items made for them. And they have no relationship with Sierra Designs, which has had an interesting enough ownership history on its own.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
STP is a great place to get close-outs, seconds, and discontinued items. I just bought a whole bunch of stuff last night. :)

-dave-

Yep, I'm in 100% agreement. I've made numerous purchases over the past few years from STP with 100% satisfaction. I've returned items for various reasons and they've refunded my money everytime. If you sign up for their "email alerts" you can get deals on shipping. I have xc skiis purchased from STP last year for 70% their original price and they are great!

I'd recommend STP for anyone looking for gear for hiking/climbing/running!

David Metsky said:
-dave-
Don't leave us hanging ! What'd you get ?
The Scarpa plastic boots I bought there last month are being widened in Alaska as we speak. :D

Kevin Rooney said:
To the best of my knowledge, STP buys mostly closeout items from suppliers/manufactureres, so you will occasionally see models of items discontinued several years ago. For example - they had been selling Sherpa snowshoes, and it created the impression that Sherpa was still a viable company. Their home base is in Cheyenne, Wy and they have outlet stores in Reno and now in Cody. I used to buy lots of things from them but rarely do any longer because I can usually their prices are no longer particularly competitive. It used to be STP had the best prices, but now I've found closeouts from REI (and particularly REI-Outlet), Campmor, or even Mountain Gear, are better and I have fewer concerns about quality. As others have noted, I've found their (STP) customer service very good.
I have to agree with Kevin. I used to buy a ton of stuff from STP but lately, sale prices at EMS are much better and they actually HAVE a size 10 boot!

Chip said:
Don't leave us hanging ! What'd you get ?
Nothing major, mostly clothes actually. But I've bought skis, ski poles, helmets, packs, plastic boots, skins, and just about every other item under the sun from STP. If you find the right sales they have great deals. I rarely buy anything that is discounted less than 60%.

-dave-