Dry River Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Hi all,

Planning a backpack into the Dry River to bag Isolation with 7 people. Can anyone tell me if there are designated sites anywhere close to the trail up to Isolation from the Dry River Trail? There is a shelter further up the Dry River Trail, but it makes more sense to camp closer to the Isolation trail. From the topo, it looks reasonable flat, but it's always nice to fine designated/established sites, especially with this many people.

Thanks for the help!

Once you enter Dry RIver wilderness there are sites about every half mile or so. Most of these are designated and have signs from the trail. However in this wilderness you can pretty much camp anywhere as long as you are 200 feet from the trail.

The trail further up gets really bushy and just past shelter #3 may be a little hard to follow.

There's several designated campsites along the Dry River trail. The first is down a hill right next to the river shortly after the bridge. I don't remember where the last one was before the intersection with isolation trail. But there are several well marked sites. The shelter that still exists is apparently a #3 so I wonder if some of the site are sites of old shelters.

There's a designated site on the left (west) of the Dry River trail just before the intersection with the Isolation Trail that has room for two or three tents. I've stayed in the old shelter #2 when it was still around and it was located on an island in the river near that intersection but not in the same place as the campsite.

Let's see, how best to desribe this one???

If you're heading up the Dry River Trail from 302, go past the Isolation Trail intersection on your right. Very shortly, the Dry River Cutoff will come in from the left, you'll have to cross the river to get to it (easy). There will be a designated site on your left in a couple of hundred feet, I've stayed there several times. There's actually two there, don't stop at the first one, continue down the path a bit for the nicer one.
The site is maybe .1 or .2 from the bottom of the Isolation trail so it should work out well for you. Enjoy!