E.Osceola & Osceola via the Greeley Pond Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellen

Reaction score
We (Yogi & I) hiked E. Osceola and Osceola from the Kanc via Greeley Pond Trail. We got a late start (10:45 a.m.). The day was beautiful, hot at times but there was a nice breaze. The first 1.3 miles to the intersection was mostly flat and quite easy. Osceola trail goes to the right from this intersection. The 1.5 miles to the summit of E. Osceola was gradual at first. The trail then ascends steeply, for what seems like a long time, to the summit. There were several down trees that we found easy to pass.

The trail between E. Osceola and Osceola is about 1 mile. It took us 45 minutes on the way to Osceola and about 35 minutes on the way back. The trail is steep at times. The Chimney wasn't bad going up it, but we chose to take the trail around it on the way down.

This was our first hike of the season. It was a little much for a warm up hike! In total it took us 5 1/2 hours up and down including our half an hour lunch break on the top of Mt. Osceola, which has an excellent view!!

Ellen,

Nice trip report. I went up the Osceolas a few days before you (6/12), from Tripoli Rd via the Mt Osceola trail. I decided the chimney was OK to go down, but went around it on the way back! Maybe it just looks safer when you haven't had so much time to think about it...

Osceola was completely socked in on the way out, but cleared off and gave great views on my way back. It was nice to see both personalities of the mountain. The trails were pretty quiet, I summited behind a group of three (in the fog) and ran into a woman with 2 dogs going down around the chimney as I was going back up.

Pictures here