East Sleeper - via Downes Brook Trail 07/17/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Date of Hike:7/17/15

Trail Conditions: Downes Brook up to the last 1/4 mile. Trail itself is is dry, numerous crossings (12+?) - All fairly easy rock hops. A dozen or so blow-downs, all well trimmed and easy step overs (maybe one crawl under). But the last 1/4 mile: many thick fir tree blow-downs blocking the trail several crawl through or whack arounds, several places its tough to see which way the trail goes. It does look like some trail work has started on the thinner trees. Kate-Sleeper: Great condition, no obstructions, its amazing to see all the old trail work cutting a clear path through piles of large downed firs (presumably from Irene).

Plenty of parking at the trailhead at the end of the gravel road directly across from WMNF Passaconnaway Campground on the Kanc. Only two other hikers on the trail today - Met two lady hikers going up to Whiteface on my way down. Bugs not bad today with Ben's Deet and minimum stops.

Special Equipment Required: Poles almost a must for the crossings (at least for me).

Comments: If you like rock hopping across rivers, and don't mind a lack of views, this is the hike for you. Though a lot of crossings, this is an incredibly uniform grade all the way up. #96/100 NEHH (3 in VT and VS in NH left)

Your name:Marvin (1slowhiker) some pics on my blog.