Ecuador Weather Forecasts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic Shakedown

Reaction score
Hey gang, I am looking for websites to look up international, high elevation weather forecasts, specifically for Ecuador. I am leaving for 12 days of mountaineering on Friday and want to start getting the long-term forecasts, as well as check the updated forecast while there.

Any help would be appreciated - ten minutes on google didn't yield what I am looking for. Thanks!

You're probably better off shunning the New England "anything is possible any day" framework of the 12 day forecast and instead focusing on the seasonal patterns.

I lived in Ecuador for a few months a couple of years ago. I remember that the weather was driven very much by the wet or dry season. I think (but I could be wrong) that this time of year is approaching the transition to the wet season.

I don't recall ever using a weather forecast while I was there. In Quito, at least, it was either going to not rain at all or, if it was the wet season, rain in the afternoon. I think the high peaks have a similar pattern.

Ecuador, by the way, is beautiful. What peaks are you trying?

Kevin Rooney said:
I went to Weather Underground, typed in Ecuador, and got this - . Does it help?

Thanks, Yeah, I'd looked at the basic city forecasts. I know there are sites for high elevation forecasts or at least ones with all the models to make your own forecasts. I remember looking at some great forecasting sites in an avalanche class.

Will be going to the standard Ecuador peaks, Illinizas, Cotopaxi, Chimbo, Cayembe. My first time over 15k, so I'm curious to see how I will do.

Any ski areas near by? If so look up their website & see if they have weather links. I found this to work fairly well in Europe.

Epic Shakedown said:
...Will be going to the standard Ecuador peaks, Illinizas, Cotopaxi, Chimbo, Cayembe. My first time over 15k, so I'm curious to see how I will do.
Ecuador is the perfect place to try going to altitude, as the conditions are benign (compared to Denali or the Himalaya). Just don't be taken in by that and take the time for classic acclimatization (climb high, sleep low). It's a beautiful place - enjoy!