Effects of high altitude on brain cells

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of damage can leave patients with an impaired ability to plan, focus, and make complex decisions. And it's permanent.
And, disturbingly, it seemed to happen to climbers going not much higher than 15,000 feet.

I guess I found the answer for my extreme disorganisation for the last couple of years :eek: :D

Good article, thanks for posting.

Interesting. This article reports physical evidence.

Altitude-caused brain damage has been known for a while, for instance, Dr Charles S Huston mentions brain damage in "Going High" (1980) and "Going Higher" (1983), but his evidence is behavioral. Retinal hemorrhages due to altitude have also been known for many years. (The retina is often viewed as an extension of the brain.)

Doug

"His wife would send him to the store for a loaf of bread and he would forget why he was there and come home without it."

This already happens to me. I'm screwed.

Wait, what is this thread about.. ? :confused:

Last edited:
I've been to almost 21,000 feet, but I'm pretty sure my brain cell issues are related to alcohol and substance abuse...:confused:

And disturbingly it seemed to happen to climbers going not much higher than 15,000 feet.

Good reason to stick to CO/CA 14ers. :p