"Elevation training" Mask ? Anyone seen these ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Looks mildly interesting for those of us with limited time to train at low elevations.
Might also be a decent mask under goggles in winter.

"Introducing Training Mask, a new, patented (PAT.8.590.533 B2) "Resistance Training Device" product that helps condition the lungs by creating pulmonary resistance
and strengthening the diaphragm, making your workout seem like it’s being held high in the mountains."

http://www.trainingmask.com/about-elevation-training-mask/

Looks like it just increases resistance, like breathing through a straw. It might strengthen your diaphragm, but I can't see how it'll simulate the reduced PPO2at altitude.

I work with a semi-pro MMA dude who seriously looked into these types of breathing restricted training aids. Apparently they can provide diaphram strength but fall short on most of the promised benefits.

I see little or no value to stregthening your Diaphragm. The only way to train for altitude is to go to it, descend, then go up again. Its the Blood cells that make the difference not the diaphragm. Just my 2 cents.

Looks like it just increases resistance, like breathing through a straw. It might strengthen your diaphragm, but I can't see how it'll simulate the reduced PPO2at altitude.

I agree that the diaphragm strengthening's a bit hokey. HOWEVER:

The website doesn't explain it correctly, but I can see how the restricted air intake actually *could* emulate being at elevation.

It's essentially the reverse of the compressed exhalation technique that mountaineers use when at altitude to emulate being at lower elevations. By pursing their lips when they exhale, they're increasing the air pressure in their lungs, effectively putting the lungs at a lower elevation.

If instead of restricting your exhalation you restrict your INhalation, you'll get the reverse: lower air pressure in your lungs - i.e. higher elevation. To get this effect though, you need neither a stupid mask nor that straw - you just have to get good at pursing your lips.

The tough part is that it really isn't very pleasant to exert yourself while not being able to breathe freely. I'm not sure that many folks could put up with the sensation for long.

Alex

Last edited:
You can use a high altitude sleep tent - http://www.hypoxico.com/ - which should give you some benefits of training at altitude while you're at sea level. But I suspect you'd have to use it on a regular basis for an extended time to really prepare for a trip to altitude.

If it were legit on the promised results I'd suspect pro guides would be hawking it left and right. They do have clients spending what some of us have remaining on our mortgages. Reminds me of diet pills :D