Elvios Lincoln's Rangeley Stratton Adventure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
Elvios Lincoln’s Maine Adventure: July 31st through August 4th 2007

Summary:

Climbed 10 Maine 4,000 Footers in Rangeley-Stratton Region
Hiked 40 contiguous miles of the Appalachian Trail
Hiked a total of 53 miles during five consecutive hiking days.
Camped at three AT back-country campsites, on 4 day hike from Rangeley Rt 4 to Stratton Route 27.

I have collected some notes that others may find useful for planning a trip to this region.

1.Notes on Hiker Friendly Accommodation in Rangeley-Stratton Maine Area.

http://www.maineroadhouse.com
http://www.thestrattonmotel.com

These are actually two different places about 20 minutes apart. They are currently owned and managed by the same person, Susan. The Maine Road House is out in the country on Rt 16 between Stratton and Rangeley. The Stratton Motel is in Stratton Village across from the Stratton Diner. This is a very reasonably priced HikerCentric place. There are 5 private rooms and a large hostel. The hostel has laundry facilities, a full kitchen, TV, free access to a networked computer, free long distance telephone for US calls. Dogs were welcome in the hostel, I noticed. Susan caters to peak-baggers and through hiker in season and gets snow-mobile crowd too in the winter. She is familiar with the trail heads and will shuttle you to and from remote trail heads for reasonable cost. This area is about a 6 hour drive from central MA.

2. Notes on the Rangeley-Stratton section of the AT.

The AT runs up and down the mountains for about 32 miles between Rt 4 in Rangeley and Route 27 in Stratton. There are 8 Maine 4000 footers on, or close to the trail. There are 4 campsites spaced along the path and it is also possible to stay in the huge ski center warming hut on top of Mt Sugarloaf. There is no water or privy on Sugarloaf, but there is a radio, a microwave, and tremendous views. There is a spring box on the left side of the 0.6 mile side trail that ruins from the AT to the summit of Sugarloaf. I stayed at the Poplar Ridge campsite, the Mt Spaulding campsite and the Crocker Cirque campsite. All had water and privies. The first two had lean-tos. The latter had tent-platforms, but no shelter. The other campsite very close to Rt 4 is called Piazza Rock. I did not go in, but this site actually has a care-taker. There is a lean-to and tent platforms. There are no fees charged for use of any of the campsites.

In general people were sparse on this hike though there were other people in my campsites each night. One day I went over ten miles and never met another hiker. Saddleback Ridge is exposed for miles, with awesome views. Mt. Abraham is an isolated exposed pile of rocks It is 1.7 miles from the AT. It has the remains of an old fire tower. Mt Sugarloaf is clear and has great views. There are lots of buildings and towers, but I saw no people. You end up crossing a couple decent sized brooks including The South Branch of the Carrabassett, between Sugarloaf and South Crocker, has some nice pools for getting cooled off. There are a couple of low ridges, with views along the route. The Crockers and Spaulding are pretty view-less. Redington has a decent view.

3. Notes on a Mt Redington Bushwhack from South Crocker:

See Separate Trip Report:

4. Notes on the Bigelow Range.
I day-hiked the Bigelow Range on August 4th. This 14 mile day hike was the icing on the cake the day after I came off the Crockers. The air had cleared after the night of thunderstorms.
I hiked up the Fire Wardens Trail to meet the AT between Avery and West Peak. The well situated Myron Avery campsite here at about 3,800 feet . There are numerous tent platforms, a spring, and a good privy. There is no fee to stay at this site.
The Bigelow Range is perhaps the nicest place that I have ever hiked. It is a cross between Squam’s Rattlesnake hills and Franconia Ridge. The north side of the ridge falls off rapidly to the sprawling, island dotted Flagstaff Lake. Along the ridge are six distinct peaks. The highest are the 4000 footers Avery Peak and West peak. They have 360 degree views. The Horns are two closely set 3,800 feet peaks, with great views. Little Bigelow Mt and Cranberry Peak are at either end of the long rolling ridge. Below the Horns is Horns’s pond. This is a clear mountain pond with a wonderful campsite. A caretaker lives at the Horn’s Pond Campsite. There are lean-tos and tent platforms. The privy looked to be in great shape and there is a spring to supply drinking water. There is no fee to stay at this site.
I followed the AT south, for 8 miles, from Avery Peak to my car. There is much more to this hike than the four main peaks. There are multi-tiered beaver damns, massive glacial erratics, and several other ponds.

5. Notes on Flora and Fauna.
I saw a beautiful white tail deer near Piazza Rock campsite. There were signs of moose throughout my 5 days of hiking. I saw a couple on the road, but none in the woods. I saw two snakes, countless toads, red squirrels, song birds, game birds, herons, and whistling ducks.

I saw many alpine and mountain flowers. Carpets of Wood Sorrel in bloom were everywhere. I also noted: diapensia, bilberry, mt cranberry, sheep laurel, Labrador tea, bunchberry in fruit, and blue bead lily in fruit.

6. Notes on Thru-hikers.
I saw more south bound thru-hikers than north bound. There were also a few section hikers. I was the only combo peak-bagger- section hiker that I ran into. As usual, the thru-hikers are a joy to camp with. “Coffee” was from Ohio. He made me a great cup of coffee, in his french press, at the Crocker Cirque. At that same campsite I saw a north-bounder with an alcohol stove that was about the size of two stacked Oreo cookies. It was the lightest, most efficient stove that I have ever seen. He also had the 5 pound Harry Potter 7 book with him. On the porch of the Stratton Motel, another north bounder, “Five-String”, gave me a beer. While we drank he played his travel banjo and sang about his native Virginia.

7. Other notes:

Apparently someone is building a private full-service hut system in western Maine.

http://www.mainehuts.org/mission.htm

There is a great bar across the street from the Stratton Motel. It is strangely called Stratton Pizza. The food is great and they have lots of good beer on tap, including a great Carrabassett local brew.

Happy Trails

Great trip report! I really enjoyed reading it. I'm probably a bit biased being a Mainer and all but this is one of my favorite spots in the northeast.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!