Escarpment trail (var.) with bicyle return

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOC-1

Reaction score
I'm always looking for good hike/bike combinations in the Catskills. Preferably new ones. Today, I did the Escarpment trail from Windham to North Point (near North-South Lake) and then the Haines Falls trail (yellow markers) back to Schutt Rd., where I had stowed my bicycle in the morning. Total trail mileage was about 18 1/2, 4 1/2 fewer than staying on the Escarpment trail for its full distance past Kaaterskill Falls. The trail is in excellent shape - zero blowdown for the full distance. (Of course, there is no water either).

The bike ride is actually shorter (17 miles) and really great. Haines Falls Rd. to 23-A, 23-A to the Tannersville traffic light (Route 23-c), 23-c to Rt. 40, Rt. 40 to Rt. 65, and Rt. 65 to Rt. 23 Windham parking lot. There are only three uphill sections, at the beginning of: 1.) Rt. 23-c (the longest uphill grade at about 2 miles), 2.) Rt. 40 (shorter and less steep) and 3.) Rt. 65 (perhaps 1/2 mile). Three very fast downhill runs speed things up and add to the excitement. The bike ride only took about 90 minutes even with my tired legs. Excellent link-up!

Last edited: