Esther & Whiteface 9/13/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imarchant

Reaction score
I reached the Atmospheric Science Research Center trailhead at about 8:15 and prepared my gear. The trail guide described the trail starting a short distance towards the ASRC from the parking area. I headed towards the buildings but saw no obvious trails. So I headed back to the parking area. By the time I reached the parking area several cars had arrived some of the occupants were obviously not hiking. I surmised someone was finishing their 46 today. I found the trail starting right in the middle of the parking area. By this time it was 8:30, my planned start time.

I followed the dirt road down hill until I reached a radio tower and old generator that look like it was army surplus from the Korean war. from here the trail enter the woods and began a steady moderately steep climb along an abandoned ski lift. The main is unmarked and eroded enough that the large rocks are a PITA. Several areas have new herd paths forming to the side. In about a mile I reached an open area near the peak of Marble mountain. The weather was cool but very humid and foggy so there were no views from here. The unmarked trail turn towards the west and in a couple hundred feet joins the marked Wilmington trail.

The trail levels for a short while, a nice break after the mile of climbing, but soon begins climbing again. The climb is again steady but the terrain varies from dirt and roots, bare rock slab and rocks. About 1/3 of the way up from Marble Mnt. to the Esther herd path I was passed by a father with his teen aged son. A while later I was passed a two friendly men. We would leap frog each other until we reached the Esther herd path. We conversed for a while. Their names were Mike and John. By this time the sun was making efforts to peak through the clouds, every 20 minutes or so shadows would be visible.

I started on the herd path toward Esther. from here the herd path was easy to follow and climbed Lookout Mountain, which is little more than a bump in the road.There were some minor muddy sections, but just enough to make me glad I was wearing gaiters. Near the summit it looked like there may be some views if it were not socked in. The trail then drops into the col where I was surprised to find a bog bridge. from here the trail changes direction slightly and heads straight towards the summit. It passes through a dark section of woods. before long I was at the summit. Here I met a group (family?) of three who I chatted with for a minute and we took each others photos. The clouds were starting to break occasionally and we caught some glimpses of Whiteface. I ate some trail mix and prepared to leave the summit a few minutes after the other group left. I passed two other groups (four in one and two in the other) heading to Esther. In a half hour I was back at the main trail. I think Esther, from the start of the herd path, was the easiest peak I have done so far in the Adirondacks. I met another man at the start of the herd path preparing to leave to Esther.

From here the trail heads down at a gradual slope for about 1/2 a mile to a col. Then heads back up. I passed the father and son returning from Whiteface and the a while later John & Mike. They had not stayed at the summit long since there were no views. A while later I could see the construction of a new ski lift & slopes from the Whiteface Ski Resort. I was starting to get a little fatigued, so I was glad when I spied the massive wall that supports the auto road. Once I reached the road I stopped for lunch at a picnic table. There is a viewpoint from the hairpin turn in the road, but the clouds would only afford brief limited views towards the valley and Esther. From here the trail rises rapidly above the road and follows a sharp ridge towards the summit. The summit structures would briefly appear from the mist and I could catch glimpses of the auto road behind me. In less than a half an hour I was at the summit. The Views were mostly socked in, but about every 10 minutes there would be a break in the clouds and the views were quite good for a short time. Some of the members of the family whom were at the trailhead recognized me and asked me if I had seen their party. based on there description Informed them that I had seen them near Esther. I found out that two of that party were finishing the 46 today. It was also a first hike for one of the other members of the party. I talked with the family members for awhile. This summit was so different than any of the other 4K summits with the mix of hikers and tourists and buildings, etc. It was enjoyable, but I'm glad there are no others like it. I spent about 1/2 an hour at the summit.

A few minutes after I left the summit a crossed paths with the four hikes. I congratulated the finishers and continued down. The first part down was slow going because of the steepness and rocks. I passed another group of two couples and a dog going up near the auto road. As I neared the col I was able to pick up my pace. I passes two of the members of the group I had met on the summit of Esther. I met up with the third member at the Esther herd path. He informed me that the other two had also completed the their 46 today. Of course I waited for them so I could give them my congratulations. We talked a few minutes and I headed off. I kept up my pace and passes another group. I kept this pace until I reached Marble mountain. From Marble mountain my pace slowed somewhat due to the steepness and my tired legs. I stopped to rest on the old ski lift abutments several times. I was glad when I reached the radio tower. The only bummer was knowing the next 1/4was up hill. I was surprised to find it had taken only a little more than 2 hours for the 4 mile descent.

Despite the less than ideal views this was a fulfilling day completing my 18th 4K peak in the Adirondacks. Congratulations to the four finishers I met today!

Entire photo album

Last edited: