Exploring N of Montreal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
OK this isn’t a NY inquiry, but a request from an ADK regular looking for info on places to go in Canada (many of whom visit this site and the ADKs regularly).

In mid July I need to be in Montreal on a Monday for a business conference. Living just North of Albany, I would normally drive up Monday and arrive mid day. However, I envision a possible opportunity to explore some part of the Province of Quebec for a few days before. I like to hike, paddle and would be willing to either camp out or stay in a motel for a few nights as long as I get to Montreal Monday.

I’m looking for recommendations on any attractive places to spend a day or two north of Montreal. I see several Provincal Reserves that looks like they are within a few hours drive including Papineau-Labelle, Mont Tremblant, Rouge-Matawin, Mastigouche and Maurice National Park (some others a bit further).

My ideal trip would be to spend the night at a motel Friday night north of Montreal, paddle into a lake and set up camp for 2 nights and explore by boat and/or foot. I am an experienced backpacker & paddler with many nights camping solo. I don’t need peaks and am happy with seeing nature in an environment different from the Adirondacks where I spend most of my time outdoors. While I have both a kayak & solo canoe, I don’t think I want to have it with me at the hotel in Montreal for Mon & Tues night.

I’d like suggestions on which preserves might be best to visit and how to do it. I’m not fixated on camping and would be happy with day trips if camping might be difficult to arrange (permits, distance to access). Tips on where to get maps and other logistical details very much appreciated.

Mastigouche

I will say, I said at a small B & B near the Mastigouche River, I can find out exactly where by looking it up in my journal, but it was absolutely beautiful. I didn't do any hiking, but it seemed like it would be awesome.