Family Sunrise Hikes in ADKs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
I'm pulling together some plans for a relatively easy sunrise hike in the ADKs. With me will be folks from 8 yo to 70 yo, all of which have done some of the 46 - but not without some occasional grumbling ;) . I'm curious to get some opinions on decent sunrise hikes for this 3-generation group. Preliminary thought was Mt VanHburg (short hike, get to watch the high peaks light up as the sun climbs). Other thoughts included everything from Owl's Head (Keene) to Cascade... would love to hear your ideas.

Hurricane might give your group an interesting sunrise perspective, what with Lake Champlain, Giant's long shadow pointing towards the HPs, etc. The hike would be a similar effort to that of climbing Cascade, but for my money it has the better view.

Pokomoonshine. 1.2 miles one way and about 1K' elevation gain. I like the Hurricane idea, something on the east side of the ADKs with a view to Vermont (eastern Horizon) would have the best sunrises.

all good suggestions. the crows trail head is a little hard to find with limited parking along the road ( at least it was 3 years ago). the other two are great hikes (I just did hurricane lasst weekend), but may be a little to much climb to make it by sunrise. Your original suggestion or mt. jo sounds good. baker mt. down the road from hurricane.

In the Southern Adirondacks, Cat mountain on West side of Lake George. Though the trail is basically a road.

Any ideas where I can get info on Cat Mtn.? It's not mentioned in my Lake George Region ADK book. It seems to be a hike I could do with the whole family.