Family Tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tent that sleeps at least six people, and I was wondering if anybody here has any recommendations. I'm going to use it for three season car camping, so I'm wondering if I should go with a cheaper model, such as a Coleman, or spend the money for a higher end tent. What do you think? Can anybody recommend a particular model?

I have a car camping tent, I think it is a Kelty Ridgeway, it holds 6-8 people and has 4 doors and is lovingly called the Condo by all my friends. I highly recommend it, it weighs a whopping 25 pounds but works very well as a comfortable tent for car camping, with all the doors it has easy access for all those inside. I can check and make sure it is a Ridgeway.

sli74

I've enjoyed my Eureka! Willow Creek. It's 12' x 12'. Never had any problems with water leaking in and has held up well in windy conditions.

This model may have a new name. But I'd consider just about any tent from Eureka!. Their customer service is great and their factory store is located in Binghamton, NY where you can get some really good deals.

I did have a problem once with a zipper on another Eureka! tent I owned for about 7 years - I sent it back to them for repair and they sent me a completely brand new tent as a replacement!

After reviewing several 6+ person tents, all of which offer good points, I settled on the REI Base Camp 6. The features I found that persuaded me were the full rainfly for better weather protection, more usable space and the design is based on other climbing models. The rainfly attached to the main body near the stakes with convenient quick release making it easy for single person setup. There is ample room and they included the attic and 8 pockets for organization.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

The walls on this model are sturdy and close to vertical making the inside space appear large. Setup was easy. All the seams are taped which adds to my confidence in inclement weather. I think it is a good buy overall.

Hi Wild -

Ditto on Eureka Camping Center. When I lived in Rochester, I used to drive down once a year to see what kind of great deals I could get on a new tent. You can now order over the phone as well.
Besides new tents, they offer A's and B's at huge discounts.

The class A's are brand new with minor (IIRC, usually cosmetic blems, crooked stitching and such) defects, while the class B's are returns that have been repaired and are now for sale.

Their number is 888-6Eureka (638-7352)

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/

Good luck
Rick

Last edited:
Target

I bought a very large tent at Target about a year ago. It is very rugged and has a single divider. I paid pennies for it ( < $50 ) and have been happy with it. It was a no-name brand type tent.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, everyone. I just ordered a Eureka Getaway 9 from the Eureka Camping Center. It retails for $160, but I got it for $75. It sleeps 9, and divides into 3 rooms, and has plenty of floorspace for my 2 year old to play if we get rained on.

Thanks again.