Field patch your hull

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
I've never had to patch my boat, let alone field patch it, but a short article in Northwoods Sporting Journal, by a Master Maine Guide and flycasting champion, describes a "temporary" patch.

Roofers use a material called "Ice and Water Shield" to prevent leaky roofs in vulnerable areas. It is a an asphalt like substance which is installed between the shingles and sheathing. It is nearly 1/4" thick and comes in rolls with an adhesive backing. Peel off the paper protecting the adhesive and apply it.

The surface must be clean and dry, lightly sanded if possible, before applying the "shield". The patch should exceed the hole or crack as much as possible and should be applied smoothly and without wrinkles ... not always an easy task if you've ever used that stuff.

A scrap of this was used to to repair a boat damaged on rocks. This "temporary" patch has held up for two seasons already. Now, that's the kind of temporary repair I like!

It is no picinic removing that stuff from a roof but a small area covering a crack or hole should be manageable.

The material is a bit like roofing cement and when a nail passes through it has enough viscosity to firm up around the nail thus providing a water barrier on the roof. (This is not to suggest it needs to be nailed to a boat, that is just how it's used on a roof!) The backing is adhesive and the sheet hardens a bit over time and as temperatures drop (like roofing cement).

To remove, it would have to be scraped off as thoroughly as possible. Then, I expect it will need to be cleaned up with a solvent. I expect that a lot of plastic and epoxy repairs need a prior cleaning with a solvent anyway ... but this will likely require removing some residual "tar".

Like I said, I never needed a boat patch but I've had it installed on roofs and it makes a lot of sense to me ... plus I trust the source. I have some leftovers that I plan to cut into a smaller sheet to include with my paddling gear.

I have played with that stuff and my front roof is covered with it as an underlayment. The proper source is WR Grace Ice and Water Shield. There are some lower cost poor subsitutes sold by some home centers that are a different material which doesnt work as well. It normally comes in 75 foot by 3' wide rolls but I believe that smaller quantities are available for window installations.

One caveat is that the stuff does not stick to cold surfaces including itself. I did a roof several years ago in cold weather and breezy conditions, normally the stuff is a pain when its warm but it wouldnt stick that day. We ended up having to use a hair dryer to warm up the seams and then it stuck for good.

Its uncured EPDM which is rugged stuff, although UV will eventually degrade it. As long as its covered, it will last for years

I have used duck tape on a couple of fiberglass hulls. It held up to repeated use for several weeks. For more permanent repairs I use epoxy and fiberglass, (or epoxy and fumed silica for repairs holes). IMHO epoxy bonds better and is easier to use than polyester resin or gelcoat.

My late uncle was an electrician. He wouldn't eat breakfast until there was a roll of electrical tape in his pocket. You wouldn't believe how long it held up on the hull of my dad's OTCA. Sure it was ugly, but then there was also the skeleton of a pterodactyl painted on the bow, to honor the boat's rising from the ashes of neglect by the prior owner. In any event, the lake trout never cared about the appearance.

My late uncle was an electrician. He wouldn't eat breakfast until there was a roll of electrical tape in his pocket. You wouldn't believe how long it held up on the hull of my dad's OTCA. Sure it was ugly, but then there was also the skeleton of a pterodactyl painted on the bow, to honor the boat's rising from the ashes of neglect by the prior owner. In any event, the lake trout never cared about the appearance.
Electrical tape holds up very well--I've had some up on an antenna for 20 years and it was still in good shape when I took the antenna down.

It is available in colors if that helps you improve its appearance...

Doug