Finishing the New Hampshire 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
Finishing the New Hampshire Forty-Eight
Mt. Isolation, 9.10.12
Mt. Carrigain, 9.12.12

It wasn’t “easy”, but it was certainly a fitting end to an exceptional hiking experience in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. When I first visited this region, I honestly had no intention of finishing the 48, 4000’ summits. I was simply interested in exploring new mountains, trails and summits. What I discovered along the way was a love of the peaks, people and places in the Whites. That kept me coming back for more. Now, just like the Adirondack 46, I am extremely proud and very happy to finish the major summits. The intrinsic rewards I gained from hiking the New Hampshire 48 made every step worthy of such a lofty achievement.

I wasn’t alone in this endeavor. Sharing these spectacular summits over the years was a group of close hiking friends who turned out to be cherished personal friends. Their numbers are not many, but the quality of their friendship speaks volumes of their character and integrity. Their trust and friendship has always been the reason why we continued to travel to New Hampshire once every summer to be together. I sincerely thank them for their teamwork and camaraderie. Long after the summit memories have faded, I will always remember the people who shared this wonderful journey. Mountains do forge lasting friendships.

One such individual shared many of the White Mountain summits including the final two with me. She not only finished the New Hampshire 48, but also simultaneously completed the northeast 115. Barb Blum and I have been hiking friends and kindred spirits for over twenty years and I couldn’t have been happier to share my finish with such a valued friend.

I’m not sure where I’ll go next, but I do know that I will continue to hike until I can no longer walk. I am at truly at home in the mountains and have come to depend upon them to refresh my spirit.

In a correspondence letter written to me on September 12, 1995 on the occasion of becoming an Adirondack High Peak “30er”, the legendary historian Grace Hudowalski wrote: “Great wonders are worked in the mountains and we always think of them as “the healing woods.” Grace would be pleased with my journey and the company I keep.

Regardless of whether it is a mountain or just a leisurely walk in the forest with no purpose other than to smell the fresh air; see the fall colors; hear the snowflakes land on my shoulders; listen to a Wood Thrush; or simply for my personal health and well-being, I will continue to immerse myself in the healing woods that renew my love of life and pursuit of adventure.

Please see the next post.

Congratulations Pete! I finished my NH48 on Carrigain also. You're on a roll so you may as well complete the NE115. Vermont is very close and the Maine peaks are uniquely special. Trust me you will enjoy them!

Eddie 46er #5246 and NE111 (115) finisher

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks eddie!

Just 11 left in Maine (did Katahdin, Hamlin and N. Brother in August of 2001)....we'll see how it goes next year.

Thanks Tom!

Thanks Tom for thinking of us!

Mt. Carrigain was a spectacular way to finish and the weather was incredibly beautiful. We were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.