Fir and Big Indian - 11/8/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I took a group of 11 up Fir and Big Indian, starting from Biscuit Brook, up to Fir and over to Indian Head. Laurie is recovering from being sick, so she stayed home. I was a little apprehensive bushwhacking w/o her, but it turned out fine. It was a great group, consisting of a few people I'd met before, and several that were new. Interestingly, we had to turn several people away from this hike, as 20 people signed up for it! :eek:

We left BB PA around 8:15, and headed up and down the trail to the lean-to turn off. I hate trails that go the wrong way! :mad: Anyway, after a quick break and a brief navigational tutorial, we crossed the stream and a whacking we went. We were briefly tempted to head towards the huge looming form of Spruce, but 3 things told me this was wrong, the map, the compass, and the fact that it lay across the stream! Pressing on, we slowly trudged up Fir and found the Canister, passing a view point that had yellow flagging. At the summit, we could also see views towards Slide and Table.

At this point one of the participants wanted to turn back, but I talked her into continuing, assuring her that we would rest at the summit, then walk down hill, then go up the rather mild side of Big Indian. We set off looking for the narrow col between the 2 peaks, and managed to nail it dead on! Yippee! :D

From here, we followed the ridge line over to Big Indian. It was great to find the 2nd canister of the day! After another break, we headed down the short herd path to the trail and began the long walk back out to the lean-to. We made good time, crossed the streams, and then began the slog back UP to the top of the trail. Did I mention I hate trails that go the wrong way? :D

We made it back to the cars around 3:20. 4 of us celebrated at Brio's afterward, with Pizza, Garlic Fries, and some cold BEvERages! :D

Tom Thanks for leading this trip, you were dead on hitting the ridge in the col. Would have liked to join you at Brio's , but as it was we had to drive 254 miles and arrived home at 8:30pm. We asked Laurie, if we could join your next hike. We will be staying down for an independent hike on Sunday, so we would have the time to join you for some BEEvERages:) and dinner. Great hike, and Thanks again. Tom