First High Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Gilhooly

Reaction score
On June 17th, Cory F. and his daughter Sequoya, climbed Giant Mountain with me. It was Sequoya's first high peak and her dad's 3rd. Sequoya is a member of the "Adirondack Writers Guild" club at her school. I had read her writtings and asked her to write a trail report of our hike.

.......................................................................................................

Hello, my name is Sequoya and I'm 10 years old. Giant Mountain was my first High Peak mountain and my first mountain of the Forty-Six Adirondack Mountains. Giant Mountain is one of the 20 tallest mountains in New York.

The hike up Giant is most supurb. I think that it's an excellent mountain for a first timer on a high peak. Throughout the hike there are many breath-taking views. There are beautiful look-outs and many spots where you can see almost all of the 46 Adirondack Mountains. Some of the mountains that can be seen are Gothics, Nippletop, Dix, Round, Upper and Lower Wolf Jaws, Noonmark, and much, much, more.

On the trail there are many switchbacks,(when the trail goes left and right and then left again). Spots where your climbing a steep rock, and spots where you are rock climbing up jagged rocks. There are many difficulties, but they are worth it.

The views are excellent, the trails are challenging, and it is a really awesome
mountain. I can not wait to climb another High Peak Mountain.

......................................................................................................

I would like to add a few trip notes: Sequoya developed nasty blisters on the back of both heels after only .8miles. Her dad put band-aids on and she insisted we go on. At the summit we took a look at the blisters and they were getting worse, so I got out the mole skin and fixed them again. She never complained or fussed about it again for the rest of the day. She is a very tough little girl and I have no doubt she will finish the 46 in short time. I hope I can hike with her on as many of them as possible.

Nice Treat- We saw a patch of red lady slippers.
Bad Treat- No hot dog truck at exit 30, it was only 3:30pm, might be out of bussiness?

Mike G.

Whoo Hoo to you on your 1st of the 46ADk's!!! What a great trip report Sequoya :) I will look forward to future trip reports :)
kmac