Flying the AT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Mark Warner, 68, a wildlife photographer, flew the AT in Piper Cubs that he restored (a '47 and '59). He took a series of aerial shots of the trail from vantage point of 500 to 2000' above the ground. He studied maps beforehand and used a GPS to get the shots he wanted. To get just the right shots--angles, light, etc--he thinks he logged more than 20,000 miles flying. There's a review in today's print Union Leader, but not the online version. Here's a link to the book itself. I went "flight-seeing" once. It was fabulous to see mountains from this perspective.

Flying "low and slow" in a light airplane is a wonderful way to see the countryside. Highly recommended. I've never done it in the mountains, though, which is something I may have to fix one of these days.

G.

flying

On thing I regret never doing, is taking one of those glider rides over the Presi's. I dont know if they still offer these rides, they where based out of Gorham, I believe, I enjoyed the sound they made soaring over the ridgeline.

Yup

We did N Kinsman for flags across th 48 and were buzzed by several gliders while lounging on the summit. :) It was rally cool and they do make a really cool noise.

http://soarfranconia.org/

Good group of guys, call them up (especially summertime, not a lot of soaring ops. in the winter) and ask for an intro. flight. They should be able to hook you up. There are other clubs that use Franconia, I think Greater Boston Soaring Club is another.

Be warned! You may get hooked!

There's another great group over in Warren, VT, near Sugarbush. Morrisville, VT too. All great people.

Edit: To keep up with the theme of the thread: This truly is a great way to see all those places you've been hiking. Such a different perspective not only makes you appreciate the beauty of the Northeast, but will change your own inner mental-map of the areas you hike. It's good stuff.

Last edited:
As a commercial pilot, I took up hiking after learning to fly, and can unequivocally say the views you see on foot blow away anything you see from the air - even at low altitude.

Having said this, I think anyone with a little money (and a cooperative wife helps) should pursue a pilot's license. Any flight school will take you up for a "demo" flight for around $50 and even let you play with the controls - that's all it took for me to get hooked.

Any other pilots on here?

:D

I don't necessarily agree with the your opinion on the views, but I do see where you are coming from. I think they can both be great depending on what you're looking for, they compliment each other if you will... but to each his own! :) (Skimming along the tops, sunrises, sunsets, CB's--from a distance, the night sky... man... what a great career!)

And yes, everyone should get an intro flight! You may never ever look back!