Franconia Ridge For Me, Friday 3/7/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
IMG_1213-3.JPG

Little Haystack Mountain, Mt. Lincoln, Mt. Truman, Mt. Lafayette

Trails: Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Trail, Old Bridle Path

It’s been a winter with not a lot of good above treeline days, at least in my book. Last Friday promised perfect visibility and tolerable winds MWOBS had 25-40 increasing. Though it was a cold start that morning -9 in Lincoln, there was inversion, so the temps were actually warmer higher. Even getting a bit up the Falling Waters Trail felt better and it was probably in the upper teens air temp on the ridge.

The wind forecasts were right for once, and there was a steady 20-30 mph wind the whole time I was on the ridge, except on the spots where the rock formations provided a natural wind break. That morning I saw the wind on cannon was coming from the south (and was 28 mph), so I picked going CCW to keep it at my back. This allowed me to relish my winter time across the ridge and take lots of photos. Trails were in amazing shape, micro’s perfect the whole way, very hardpack and no ice. Had crampons packed though.

IMG_1136-1.JPG

Frosted Diapensia Mats Along Franconia Ridge Trail

IMG_1184-1+I+heart+the+whites.JPG

I double heart the whites in winter snowdrift—my sentiments exactly

IMG_1168-1.JPG

Two hikers on the ridge between Lincoln and Little Haystack, the pyramid shaped peaks of Flume and Liberty behind

IMG_1139-1.JPG

Looking at Old Bridal Path, Cannon, and Vermont skyline behind

IMG_1217-1.JPG

Hikers descending Lincoln

IMG_1201-2+b+and+w.JPG

Along the Ridge, Moosilauke is the snow topped peak to the right

IMG_1220-1.JPG

Lafayette’s Summit Cone and Garfield to the right

IMG_1251-2+snow+sculpture.JPG

Who stops in thirty mile an hour winds descending Lafayette to shoot snow drift abstracts anyway?

The wind had shifted to the SW so it was blowing right in my face the whole time descending Lafayette’s cone to the hut, necessitating goggles.
A great day, if only we could get some more like this! Saw about 40 hikers, all well enough prepared with face protection (needed!) .