franconia ridge logistical info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossgoddard

Reaction score
looking for beta on the logistical side of the franconia ridge via fallingwaters/bridal path loop. driving up from boston friday night, and want to have a car bivy. i know there is parking on the northbound and southbound side of 93. which side is better for the bivy, and how do i get to them? (signage for turn, how to reverse direction if parking on SOBO side.)
thanks a lot
harrison

As you're coming northbound, the "turnaround" on I-93 through the Notch is at the Cannon tram station exit (I think it's Exit 34 or maybe 34 B), in any event, the parking lot for the tram. If you're heading southbound, you have to take the Flume exit and then you can loop around and head northbound again. I'll send you a PM on the "car bivy" issue.

As you're coming northbound, the "turnaround" on I-93 through the Notch is at the Cannon tram station exit...

Exit 34C is for U-turns.

I believe the North-bound parking area is labled Trailhead Parking, or something to that effect. The South-bound parking area is at Lafayette Campground. There is a walkway under I-93 connecting the two parking areas.

I think there are restrooms at both parking areas. I've seen others spending the night on the South-bound side before.

The campground store has pay showers on the back side, that's if the Lafayette campground is open yet.

100 Posts Yippeee :D

Lafayette Campground

The campground is open self-service all year...it will not be opened full time (staffed and showers) until 5/27/2005.
I have done the hike you are doing just by leaving Boston a little before 5am and being on the trail before 7am...it just sounds better than sleeping in the car to me!
Also...I strongly prefer ascending Falling Waters...I had very little fun coming down that trail with very tired legs.
Have fun!

i think if we can we're gunna do the self service option at lafayette place. if not, s SOBO side bivy.
thanks