Franconia Ridge "on the rocks"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikersinger

Reaction score
Trip Summary (times approximate):

• 8:40am started up Old Bridle Path. Some ice, relatively easy footing with microspikes until reaching "Agony Ridge", when we switched to crampons for better footing on ice
  • 11:20am arrived at AMC Greenleaf Hut, continued up Greenleaf Trail. Above treeline, mostly ice with some bare rock; crampons most helpful
  • 12:30pm reached Mt. Lafayette summit
  • 12:50pm continued along Franconia Ridge trail south to Mts. Lincoln and Little Haystack. Only ice and some bare rock to deal with above treeline; crampons continued to come in handy, but spikes may have done fine. Below treeline, soft-pack snow; any traction was fine, though some post-holing for those not as careful and without snowshoes.
  • 3:50pm reached summit of Mt. Liberty, then back-tracked and descended via Liberty Springs trail.
    Crampons definitely best; those with spikes or snowshoes had to be careful.
  • 6:30? reached Franconia Notch Visitor Center

I finally got my chance to join Michael Blair and Monica Trust and a hearty, warm group of Randomites on a somewhat impromptu Franconia Ridge hike. This was a "plan B" hike since the previous day's plan to hike Hale and the Bonds was rained out.

Start time scheduled for 8am, but we got a late start due to the ice rink that was the Franconia Notch Visitor Center parking lot. Note to self: advocate for an little earlier start next time.

Still, the group kept a relatively brisk pace, reaching Agony Ridge in very good time. One person was having trouble with his Achilles so plans were unsure beyond the Lafayette summit. We were all able to continue until Liberty Springs trail junction, where half the group descended and the other half tagged Liberty, back-tracked and descended.

Spent about 1-1.5 hours hiking out in the dark. We missed the sharp left turn about 0.4mi before the end of the trail, but continued out to the bike path and easily got back to the Visitor Center parking lot.

Beautiful rime ice coverage and formations above treeline. Encountered high winds above treeline as well, with gusts probably approaching 40mph or so. Still, exhilarating and worth the effort.

My photos: https://www.facebook.com/erikbertrand/media_set?set=a.10151598267949567.1073741832.570654566
Others: http://www.meetup.com/random-hikers/photos/19503662

I was going to take the loop up Falling Waters and down OBP, what do you think? With crampons will it be ok? Or go the other way?

I was going to take the loop up Falling Waters and down OBP, what do you think? With crampons will it be ok? Or go the other way?

Falling Waters is steeper so you'd certainly need crampons; I think at this point you'd have a fine time with them. And if that's the loop you'd like to take, I think that's the better bet since OBP is not as steep. Hopefully there's been more snow cover in the past week; keep checking for reports via TrailsNH:

http://trailsnh.com/maps/index.php?find=franconia+ridge

Hope this helps!

Erik