Franconia Ridge Research experiment?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a beautiful hike Saturday on the ridge. As we got near Little Haystack we encounterd a number of glass panels anchored in the dispensia, the trail stewards guessed that it was some type of research project. Anyone know anything more? Thanks.

I found out a little more.

It's part of a PhD research for Dartmouth grad student. I got a partial expanation this weekend. Apparently she is trying to study the effects of shielding (presumably from the wind) on diapensia. Alpine bilberry is also involved, but all the panels that I saw were set up in paches of diapensia.

So, I guess my guess was fairly close.

(Mike, you should have given me the secret VFTT sign)

Last edited:
When my wife and I were doing that part of the AT in NH last summer we met the woman doing the research, and her husband coming up from Liberty Springs Campsite which was their base. We talked with her for quite a while and learned much about the alpine flowers on the ridge. She was about 8 months pregnant than but still climbing well. I don't know if it is still her or someone else continuing it, and of course I can't remember her name. It was as stated a Dartmouth PHD research project which I believe had been going on for some time.

When my wife and I were doing that part of the AT in NH last summer we met the woman doing the research, and her husband coming up from Liberty Springs Campsite which was their base. We talked with her for quite a while and learned much about the alpine flowers on the ridge. She was about 8 months pregnant than but still climbing well. I don't know if it is still her or someone else continuing it, and of course I can't remember her name. It was as stated a Dartmouth PHD research project which I believe had been going on for some time.

I'm aware of that research project also. I first meet her about 2 years ago, and spent some time talking with her about her research. I don't know if that project is done or not. The nails used to mark transects are still there. Anyway, one problem she had was that everyone wanted to stop and talk with her about the project, and it was taking much longer than expected.

Panels are gone now. I'm told they were removed a couple of weeks ago. Seems like a very short time to monitor any effects on a slow growing plant.

By the way, it was a great weekend to be in the alpine zone. Low winds and lots of sun. However, it was shared with several hundred other people each day.