Full Moon hike to Overlook - 7/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikethe115

Reaction score
Lock Haven, PA; Avatar: the twins on Twin with onl
I will be taking some folks up Overlook Mountain in the Catskills (Woodstock) Thursday evening in case anyone is interested. There is a full moon so our plan is to go up after work...meeting at the trail head at 6:45 PM, start hiking up by 7:00 PM, then hang out and have a snack or dinner at the top, watch the moon rise, and hike down by moonlight. I am a volunteer there so I will be able to open the firetower and the ranger cabin. It is 2 miles to the ruins of a hotel, and then another half a mile to the top from there.

Hi Dawn and Matt,

Funny you mention the full moon hike, driving home last night from the city my wife mentioned the moon and i told her that some people go on night hikes to check out the moon, now i read this post...I can't get there in time...have fun...ps I'm going to try the Twin/sugarloaf hike this sat with the club and check out my knee...

coldfeet said:
Hi Dawn and Matt,

Funny you mention the full moon hike, driving home last night from the city my wife mentioned the moon and i told her that some people go on night hikes to check out the moon, now i read this post...I can't get there in time...have fun...ps I'm going to try the Twin/sugarloaf hike this sat with the club and check out my knee...

Good luck w/ the knee! Use your poles a lot, and be especially careful on the descents.

Matt

although not full last night (99%) sara and i climbed Kane mtn in the southern adks. it was perfect. cool weather and clear skies.

we were able to make the summit right before sunset. the cabin is always open so we stayed in there untill 9:45 or so. the sun setting was so great BUT then the moon just blew that sunset away. when the moon rises tonight your going to feel like you can touch it.....

have fun, i'm sure seeing the lights turn on in the hudson valley is going to be neat. seeing them in the mohawk valley last night finally got me atune with the distances from town to town... also, seeing the towers througout the valley helped a ton.. i could see the towers in the heldebergs (where i'm from) and then towers in the utica area...pretty cool

happy hiking

I have climbed Overlook a few times. But, never on a full moon.

I may join you along with my beagle.

It was a nice hike. I got a late start (7:10pm), but was able to catch up with the back of the group. It was a large group with many newbies.
Reached the top a little after 8pm. Howie made friends with the yellow lab.
Saw the sunset at the tower and then went over to the ledge to watch the moon rise over the eastern sky. It was a large reddish moon - almost looked like the sun. Sort of ominous.
The weather was near perfect with mostly clear skies and just a few low clouds near the horizon. Some mosquitos were out, but not too bad.
Walked down in the dark sans flashlight for most of the way. Heard drums off in the distance...weird. Back to the car around 10:30pm. Had fun driving down the windy road back to Woodstock.

It was indeed a spectacular show from Mother Nature. We had a beautiful sunset and an awesome moonrise! There were many newbies, as Rivet mentions, which made it fun to hear their enthusiasm and awe. I did have 2 sets of horns with me which came in handy for a couple of people to at least have a little light. All in all a wonderful evening.

Weird day yesterday, I ended up driving 80 miles to Kent Conn. to check on our camp kids (I'm ass't director) at club getaway...beautiful area with some surrounding hills, saw many hiking signs. Deer passed in front of our car..we saw the moon on the way home app 10pm..i'll try to catch the next hike!