Galehead via Pemi Loop (5 July 2014)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Galehead via Pemi Loop (5 July 2014)

Trails: Lincoln Woods, Osseo, Franconia Ridge, Garfield Ridge, Frost, Twinway, Bondcliff.

Summits: Flume, Liberty, Lincoln, Lafayette, Garfield, Galehead, South Twin, Bond, Bondcliff. 32.5 miles.

Conditions: Osseo is in great shape. Franconia Ridge is in good shape. Garfield Ridge is muddy in sections and shares the stream bed coming off Garfield in one spot. Frost is fine as is the Twinway. The Bondcliff Trail has wet, muddy sections down low and a LOT of blowdowns. The heavy winds must have really hit this area hard. A few are step overs, but one is a pretty massive one laying right on the trail causing a substantial go-around. Crossings were all hoppable but the water was moving with pretty good flow. Lincoln Woods has some muddy sections near the wilderness boundary.

Special Equipment Required: poles were nice to have for the long haul. Wind gusts were very high, so a fleece came in handy as did a winter hat at one point. It was cloudy and windy enough that bugs and sunburn were non-issues. It was really almost perfect summer hiking conditions. I drank 8 liters, starting with 4 and refilling at the hut.

Comments: after planning a route Saturday to include Galehead, Garfield, and Owls Head, I decided to change plans. After a few days with some heavy rain, I really didn't want to slog around the swamps of Franconia Brook and end my days there in a bog, so I thought staying on the ridge made more sense. I woke at 3 AM to pouring rain for a 4 AM start. I went back to sleep. I woke at 4 AM to pouring rain. I shut the alarm off this time. I think it was 8 when I rolled out of bed, grabbed three cups of liquid courage and some food, and thought, "why not?" I hit the trail at a gentlemanly 10 AM, a tad later than planned. I moved steadily throughout the day, taking few breaks, none very long, but not running either. I also carried a relatively full pack figuring that if I wanted to bail, I'd prefer to be able to sleep where I was. Knowing I had started late, I hoped to be on Bondcliff by dark, but realized Bond was more realistic. An extra headlamp would help. As predicted, I put it on at the summit of Bond. Franconia was busy (no, really) even though the winds were very strong. Galehead Hut looked pretty full. I arrived at dinner and took a quick side trip up Galehead to complete my fourth round of the 48 which I have been meaning to do for some time. I figured a Pemi Loop was a good way to spice up Galehead a bit since it was the goal for the day. I considered the West Bond Spur briefly, but I was racing with little remaining daylight at that point, so it was not to be. Wandering out of the woods at 2:30 AM was not ideal, but conditions were perfect otherwise. 16.5 hours. No new FKT here. Missed it by a hair. ;)